Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about Mickey's coffee rub

Options
It calls for instant espresso - is that the same as instant coffee?  If not,  has anyone tried it with instant coffee? 

Ok,  that's  two questions. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is what I use. It is easy to find here. Would think you could grind up fine any coffee. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks.  I'll  take a look in HEB again. Otherwise I'll  grind up whatever instant coffee i can find. 

• Mickey
    Options
    I get it at HEB.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
  • Village Idiot
    Options

Here is the current virgin of what started out several years ago.http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1210750&catid=1

Damn !  I'm fresh out of Kona Koffee & Brazalian Arabica Beans and Indian River Rainbow pepper.  Must have used the last in my oatmeal this morning.  Guess I'll have to use Mickey's rub.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Do yourself a solid and make a double batch of it. Mickeys coffee rub is my new favorite on chicken. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    @Mickey Would you post your recipe for us please.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Options
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

• caliking
    Options
    I've  been meaning to try this for some time,  so the goal is to mix some up this weekend. 

• khristyjeff
    Options
    Some on this forum have had problems finding ancho chili powder (me included).  Finally found it with other small bottle spices in grocery store alphabetized not under "c" where I looked for all chili powders but under "a" for ancho.  Was glad to discover it, but did feel a little stupid.

Oh, and tried Mickey's rub on chicken a couple of weeks ago with a my family that doesn't like things too spicy and they really liked it.  Thanks to Mickey, Richard and any others who have contributed toward the evolution of this rub.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Thanks Mickey, gonna try this one soon.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    We don't use instant coffee so I've used whatever coffee bean is in the pantry, dropped some beans into the Mr. Coffee grinder and whirled the bejesus out of them. To me the type of coffee bean didn't seem to make that much difference in the final rub, but the type of ancho chilli powder sure did. Picked some up from Penzey's and it really brought this rub alive.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I miss HEB
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    OK, time for my silly question about this rub recipe. Are the 'parts' by volume or weight?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    Options
    volume
      lays out like this for me.... this leaves me with leftovers for later for mason jar storage..

1/2 cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: 
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    1/4 cup Black Pepper
    1/4 cup  Kosher Salt 
    1/4 cups Garlic Powder
    3/8 cup Ancho Chili Powder ( just close as possible)

Beaufort, SC
  • caliking
    Options
    The original recipe turned out kinda sweet for my taste, so i tripled the volume of chili powder. Make a test batch and tweak accordingly.

• Mickey
    Options
    OK, time for my silly question about this rub recipe. Are the 'parts' by volume or weight?

I have went to volume