Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Curious ?

Most of the barbecue I do, I apply no sauce during the cooking or after the cooking. I let people eating the barbecue decide whether they want sauce and what type of sauce.....How many people on this forum serve their barbecue this way?.......... For me a little sauce goes a long way Example photo..... Pulled Pork with no sauce

Comments

• I do not sauce ribs, brisket or pulled pork. I will occasionally add sauce to chicken pieces (except for wings).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • I always have it on the side.  It goes well with beans, sopping up with bread, etc.  I typically with dip every third or fourth bite of brisket in it too.  I am not of the school that thinks the sauce is there to hide inferior meat.  Orientals are famous for their dipping sauces, and their dish is typically incredibly good on it's own.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Sauce on the side unless I hose up a brisket flat then "sauce to the rescue."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    We serve sauce on the side with shoulders and brisket but I like sticky ribs so I always sauce them half hour before they are done.

Gerhard
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If I'm offering PP sandwiches, I add a little thin vinegary sauce. For me, that offsets what juices soak into the bun.

Otherwise, sauce(s) on the side.

However, I do think sauce is important for carry out joints. It helps keep the meat warm while it travels. But not many places offer a really good sauce. For me, halfway warm and over sauced is better than too cool even if it tastes good.

• Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    You are doing it right ThiaJohn....  Sauce on the side... only exception for me is if you are serving it leftover.  If so then sauce it up a bit, makes it taste fresh.
  • Goatsegg
    Goatsegg Posts: 113
    +1 Sauce on the side. 

-The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I marinate ribs so they have some sauce, but I don't mop.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Never on the pp but my friends like the wet ribs and charred, chewy exterior. Please the crowd.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sauce on the side. Ribs, PP or any other dead animals.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I will normally (but not always) sauce ribs for the last hour or so of the cook, but never afterwards.  And I never sauce brisket or pulled pork and leave that up to the individual. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    When I make barbecue, I have sauce on the side unless I do Carolina style BBQ in which it's chopped with some mop sauce.

When I do ribs, I typically do one rack sauced and the others dry.

When I do brisket, sauce on the side for dipping if wanted.

For leftovers, I add a little sauce to a pan for reheating.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Do PP the same as you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Always sauce on the side for all BBQ.
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I put a very little bit of sauce the hour before I pull my ribs but it all bakes in. I don't serve a table sauce and I've never been asked. I find that defining in the northeast where ribs are usually drenched in sauce.

I've considered doing the same application to my butts but I don't see the point. I season my meat when I pull it. I've added anything from salt and pepper to rub and vinegar. I only add any kind of traditional sauce to frozen meat.

Brisket.. I've not been happy enough with any to really say. My best brisket was in a chili. Call that one as you see it lol.
  • Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    I always do pulled pork and brisket with the sauce on the side if wanted. When I do ribs Mrs Parallel and I like the sauce to have been kissed by the flame to caramelize it a bit... if I have guest I sauce their ribs to order... I've never had someone say they wanted no sauce for ribs.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • Sauce on the side for me. Let everyone decide what they like best. 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Do you SOS guys hear your sauce?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    . When I do ribs, I typically do one rack sauced and the others dry.
    same here.  Sauce at the end and I raise the temp to crystallize it a bit.  Gives a different texture than adding sauce on the side.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Salt and pepper or good dry rub is all a fine cut of meat needs.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • KennyLee said:
    I will normally (but not always) sauce ribs for the last hour or so of the cook, but never afterwards.  And I never sauce brisket or pulled pork and leave that up to the individual. 
    Ditto !!

Opelika, Alabama
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I sauce the side, for good cuts I use salt abd pepper.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    PP is almost always with a Carolina vinegar sauce at our place. Sauce with the pull and some on the side to top the sammies. 

Bottled sauce goes on the last 1/3rd of the cook for chicken or chops as SWMBO likes BBQ sauce applied on the grid. Mine is rub only. For beef roast cuts (other than rib) we have been using a board sauce for the past year or so. In that case I guess we do sauce the meat. 

Prime rib for those who like it medium to well, we drop into some almost boiling au jus to finish it, so I guess that is sauced as well. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited October 2013

Being from St. Louis, we ALWAYS sauce while cooking.  STL consumes more BBQ sauce than any city per capita, and that's probably because we use it on everything!

STL style sauces are tomato ketchup base.  They're not necessarily sweet, hot, or tangy--but maybe a little of each??  We're not big on the dry rubs beforehand.  Either way, most of these sauces need to be cooked onto the meat.  The sauce I make, is not a good dipping sauce, but it's awesome once it has a chance to caramelize and absorb some smoke.

So, I'll always use my sauce to build flavor, then serve someone else's dipping sauce on the side if needed!

The STL original is Maull's BBQ Sauce.  If you can find some of that, it is the quintessential STL style sauce and is the foundation & base of a lot of other sauces......kind of like Bush's Baked Beans.

• I found this thread very interesting. There certainly is no right or wrong way to serve barbecue with or without sauce. It's what each individual likes that really counts