Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turkey Temperature Stall

Doing our first turkey today.  Turkey has stalled at an internal temperature for the last hour at 153-158.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Comments

• Don't remember mine stalling like that. What temp are you cooking at? How much does the bird weigh and how long has it been on?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Been on for almost 4 hours.  Temp between 325-350.  14 lb bird.
  • I did a 20 lb. bird at around 350* just last weekend. It took about 5 1/2 hours to cook so, if you temp has been closer to the 325 range your time does not sound unreasonable to me. The temp of the bird when you put it on the egg would also be a factor.

Is the 158 the breast temperature? If so, your not that far from being done. Have you checked the temp in the thigh?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I do 12/13 lb a lot at 400 and cook time is 1:30 min total
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,907
    edited October 2013
    Mickey said:
    @Mickey... Spatch?
    canuckland
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Mickey said:
    @Mickey... Spatch?

Yep. Spatch
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• dihtndihtn Posts: 188

Update-started having trouble getting temp over 325.  Charcoal getting low and added and now bird temp is on the move-up to 160.  Thanks for the suggestions as well.  I was thinking breast temp needs to be 180-is that too high?

• brianwdmnbrianwdmn Posts: 365
    The thigh should be 180, breast area should be160
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, 180 is the thigh temp. 160 is the breast temp. Make sure you let us know how it turns out (with pics).

dihtn said:

...  Charcoal getting low and added ...

I try to remember, but usually forget, to keep a pail of leftover lump from previous cooks, to deal with emergency when I need to add lump mid-cook, so there's no need to wait for fresh lump's voc to clear.  
    canuckland
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Why would anyone cooking less than 16 hours ever need extra lump ( ok, if cooking pizza that long). You should never run out of lump.

• dihtndihtn Posts: 188
    Thanks again everyone for your help.  Got the thigh to 180 and breast was 167-pulled the turkey and have it foiled.
    edited October 2013
    Mickey said:
    Why would anyone cooking less than 16 hours ever need extra lump ( ok, if cooking pizza that long). You should never run out of lump.
    I agree, but I guess sometimes, people think there's more lump in the firebox than there really is.
    I agree, but I guess sometimes, people think there's more lump than in the firebox than there really is.
    I agree-when I loaded the box, I evidently did not do a good of getting the ashes out of the box.  Thought I had the box full.