Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Temperature Stall

Doing our first turkey today.  Turkey has stalled at an internal temperature for the last hour at 153-158.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Comments

• Don't remember mine stalling like that. What temp are you cooking at? How much does the bird weigh and how long has it been on?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Don't remember mine stalling like that. What temp are you cooking at? How much does the bird weigh and how long has it been on?
    Been on for almost 4 hours.  Temp between 325-350.  14 lb bird.
  • I did a 20 lb. bird at around 350* just last weekend. It took about 5 1/2 hours to cook so, if you temp has been closer to the 325 range your time does not sound unreasonable to me. The temp of the bird when you put it on the egg would also be a factor.

Is the 158 the breast temperature? If so, your not that far from being done. Have you checked the temp in the thigh?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I do 12/13 lb a lot at 400 and cook time is 1:30 min total
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2013
    Mickey said:
    @Mickey... Spatch?
    @dihtn, what thermometer are you using? try probing it in multiple spots. do the drumsticks wiggle? to be honest, I can't cook without a Thermapen  :\">
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mickey said:
    @Mickey... Spatch?

Yep. Spatch
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234

Update-started having trouble getting temp over 325.  Charcoal getting low and added and now bird temp is on the move-up to 160.  Thanks for the suggestions as well.  I was thinking breast temp needs to be 180-is that too high?

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    The thigh should be 180, breast area should be160
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited October 2013
    Yeah, 180 is the thigh temp. 160 is the breast temp. Make sure you let us know how it turns out (with pics).

dihtn said:

...  Charcoal getting low and added ...

I try to remember, but usually forget, to keep a pail of leftover lump from previous cooks, to deal with emergency when I need to add lump mid-cook, so there's no need to wait for fresh lump's voc to clear.  
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Why would anyone cooking less than 16 hours ever need extra lump ( ok, if cooking pizza that long). You should never run out of lump.

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Thanks again everyone for your help.  Got the thigh to 180 and breast was 167-pulled the turkey and have it foiled.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited October 2013
    Mickey said:
    Why would anyone cooking less than 16 hours ever need extra lump ( ok, if cooking pizza that long). You should never run out of lump.
    I agree, but I guess sometimes, people think there's more lump in the firebox than there really is.
    Mickey said:
    I agree, but I guess sometimes, people think there's more lump than in the firebox than there really is.
    I agree-when I loaded the box, I evidently did not do a good of getting the ashes out of the box.  Thought I had the box full.