Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin advice.....

Options
I have a 6.5 lb beef tenderloin from Costco. Planning to tie it up to make an even width and cook on the egg......maybe wrap in bacon? Maybe reverse sear? Advice please? Mainly, how long should it take? I am preparing for guests....

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Beef Wellington is amazing on the egg.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I'd use the same method as a rib roast (ribs removed), which is a reverse sear, if seared at all. 
    Tie it to make it round and as close to the same size as you can get. Cook time will be under an hour. It is not the weight, it is the thickness that determines cook speed.
    If you do the low part of the cook at 250-300º range, things will happen slowly. Pull at about 10º below target temp and sear, or pull at about 5º below target temp, rest, slice serve. 

I like a paste rub and a reverse sear for color and crust. Enjoy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BulldogNation
    Options
    @Skiddymarker....ok so if I cook it at 250-300, is that direct or indirect on the low part?
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    I did this about a month ago, it turned out awesome. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156971/beef-tenderloin
    Austin, TX
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Skiddymarker....ok so if I cook it at 250-300, is that direct or indirect on the low part?
    What I meant was low and slow part of the cook, not the physical level in the egg, If I misled - sorry. 
    The idea is to cook the meat gently and slowly resulting in same doneness edge to edge. 
    Reverse sear uses an indirect low and slow cook followed by a high heat sear. I suggest you put a grid on the fire ring, setter on the grid and another grid on the setter. Cook at 250-300º until desired temps. It will happen slowly making it easier to not overshoot target temp. Once low and slow is done remove the setter (indirect set-up). Foil and rest the meat. Open the egg vents top and bottom and let her get really hot +700º dome. The grid on the fire ring will be smoking hot to do the sear. Sear for about 30-45 seconds per side until desired crust. You can serve almost immediately as the meat has rested already. Some don't sear at all, preferring the taste of meat to the taste of crust. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BulldogNation
    Options
    @skiddymarker...I did this almost to the letter.... Indirect using the adjustable rig with the stone piece down low...grid on top. Removed rig, set grate on fire ring, ramped temp way up, and seared. Turned out great! Thanks for the advice!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Glad it worked out so well. Reverse sear works with lots of meat cuts, I think the most surprising has been those double loin pork chops. A pork chop that looks like a T bone or a Porterhouse. Cooke them low and then sear, really juicy and full of flavor. You are most welcome!
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Best way I've ever had tenderloin is the salt douh crust method per Alton Brown from the food network. search and you'll find it 

He sears on a cast iron griddle and then finishes in the oven but you could easily do on the BGE. The only caveat fould be the initial sear followed by the low and slow method in the salt dough.  You could do a reverse sear as well though and it would probably work great.

I've done this in the oven for a couple years now for Xmas and my family drools for months before and after. Serve with a little homemade horseradish mayo and you could turn a vegan!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE