Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster bisque

Options
Little Steven
Little Steven Posts: 28,817
edited October 2013 in Seafood

So with multiple lobster tails and my bride nixing the sous vide idea I am at a loss. She said I love your bisque. Oh no! Thinking I don't have enough shells I go out and buy three live market ones. Kill them with the knife to the back of the head trick. Separate and clean the body shells. Go to take the meat out of the tails and they start flipping around, out of my hand and across the kitchen floor. I just hate that. Anyway, I get all the meat from the tails, steam the claws and start the stock.

photo 002-7.jpg

photo 003-4.jpg

photo 004-6.jpg

photo DSC_0141-2.jpg

photo DSC_0142-3.jpg

photo 009-4.jpgphoto 011-4.jpg

photo 015-3.jpg

photo 016-3.jpg

photo 024-1.jpg

photo 026.jpg

photo 028.jpg

photo 029.jpg

photo DSC_0165-2.jpg

Well that only took about five hours and I'm halfway to having a bisque. I really don't like her sometimes. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Looks like a ton of work, but it'll be worth it in the end.  I love anything with lobster in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Hippie ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Back in the day maybe. :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• smokesniffer
    Options
    pictures look great, should be a fine meal.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    No Adult beverages??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Not yet but am planning some serious stuff later

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    You know...for such an ornery little cuss you are quite the cook! I'm always impressed!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mois ici? ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'll have to give this a try. It's about the only lobster based dish I can stand. Looking good mon ami.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've only made a true bisque once. Did a shrimp one a few months ago, following info from various recipes. So I think I follow your pics up until where the ingredients went from the saute pan to the strainer. I'm supposing you de-glazed the pan, and that is what the clarified stock is. Am I close?

My wife was happy w.my shrimp bisque. "That was nice." Reply: "Hope so, only took 4 1/2 hours."
  • Little Steven
    edited October 2013
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I've only made a true bisque once. Did a shrimp one a few months ago, following info from various recipes. So I think I follow your pics up until where the ingredients went from the saute pan to the strainer. I'm supposing you de-glazed the pan, and that is what the clarified stock is. Am I close?

My wife was happy w.my shrimp bisque. "That was nice." Reply: "Hope so, only took 4 1/2 hours."

No it's just my absent mindedness. With any shell based bisque you fry the raw shells in clarified butter til they are good and red mashing them the whole time. Then add the mirepoix and cook it all down. Then add tomato paste and cook it real well. Add brandy and flambe or cook alcohol out. Add the shells and mirepoix into a stockpot (not shown) and simmer for a couple of hours. You should use a bouquet garni but I just throw the herbs and pepper in the pot since I strain through a cheesecloth lined sieve. Deglaze the sauté pan with white wine and add to the stock. With shrimp or crawfish shells you can actually put them in a food processor and add to the stock. I had a lot of shells and actually did the sauté three separate times. After all the work and the possessed tails I forgot to get a shot of the actual stock. All that I have to do today is cook the lobster, thicken the stock with a roux and put some sherry and heavy cream in.

By the way I started the stock with a good quality seafood stock from a carton and clamatto juice. I used that to steam the claws and arms which I will crack and use as a garnish.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Thanks so much for the details. I was perplexed, but once you added the step w. the stock pot, the pics made lots more sense.

I have a blendtech, bzzzz. When I told my wife she was eating shrimp shells, she was momentarily put off. But the bisque was smooth, so all was good.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Are they as good as advertised? Really like the idea of being able to mascerate stuff. I could have done the lobster shells even.

When you made the shrimp bisque did you put a mound of cooked shrimp in the bowl? I'm not doing lobster again for a long time but I have a couple of years worth of saved shrimp shells in the freezer.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Very cool, I have been planning on doing a lobster pot pie on the Egg, I will have to really digest you cook experience.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Little Steven
    Options
    I wish I had done this on the egg. Really hard to get rid of the smell from the house.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Most eggcellent-way above my skill level and pay grade.  Dang-that looks great!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Lou, all this stuff is pretty easy when you know how. I'd put this up against any soup I've ever had too. That's why I always recommend the Culinary Institute Of America textbook when people ask for advice about cookbooks.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Wow impressive Steven, I was half way through reading the details and my head started spinning!  You asked about Blendtech ... don't know too much about Blendtech but saw it on promotion at Costco Vaughan today. You can google on 'Vitamix vs. Blendtech' to read up on their pros and cons.  I can't believe you don't have one of these already :)

We bought a Vitamix last year and love it (even though we don't use it enough) ... wish we bought one thirty years ago, it's that good and versatile!  For example, we canned a bushel of tomatoes this summer ... instead of throwing the blanched skins in the compost it went into the Vitamix and turned into beautiful puree. We made soup with it; would have been perfect for butter chicken gravy!
    canuckland
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Well aren't we the fancy one L.S. Lobster and an induction wolf cook-top....nice!!!

Yer not easy bye:)

Looks delicious and I bet it tastes even better
    ;)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I may be easy my old **** but I ain't cheap

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    @LS-funny you mention the CIA (cook version) as I know a few who have taken some classes at their upstate NY campus.  I guess I have to get their tech-manual.  Still an impresive cook.  I would be destroyed by beer and bourbon with that much effort. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited October 2013
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    ...I would be destroyed by beer and bourbon with that much effort. :)>-
    he was, see his post from yesterday :D                 

Little Steven Posts: 22,478
    Sorry man! Had a few tonight so far. Been making lobster stock for hours.

Caledon, Ontario Canada

canuckland