Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Okie Eggfest - Mojo Tacos

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
The time has finally arrived for me to attend my first Eggfest, after hearing what many of you have said about not going too crazy and enjoying the fest as well as cook, we decided on making Pork Mojo Tacos with two kinds of salsa roasted on the egg. I am also directing people to this thread to view the recipe instead of making recipe cards so we shall see how that goes. If this is your first time to the forum, welcome! 

Now for the meal! Today was the first cold rainy day of the season, but as we know the egg can cook in any weather.

Veggies and chilies get drizzled in olive oil and on to the egg. 

First up was the Roasted Tomatillo Salsa, it is a Rick Bayless recipe and one of my favorites. 

INGREDIENTS

8 ounces (3 to 4 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed 
Fresh hot green chiles to taste (1 or 2 serranos or 1 jalapenos), stemmed
2 large garlic cloves, peeled 
6 sprigs of fresh cilantro (thick bottom stems cut off), roughly chopped
1/4 small white onion, finely chopped
Salt

DIRECTIONS

Roast the tomatillos, chile(s) and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet 4 inches below a very hot broiler, until blotchy black and softening (they’ll be turning from lime green to olive), about 5 minutes.  Flip them over and roast the other side.  Cool, then transfer everything to a blender, including all the delicious juice the tomatillos have exuded during roasting. Add the cilantro and 1/4 cup water, then blend to a coarse puree. Scoop into a serving dish. Rinse the onion under cold water, then shake to remove excess moisture.  Stir into the salsa and season with salt, usually 1/2 teaspoon.

Next up was a version of Rick Bayless Drunken Salsa with Pasilla Chilies 
Ingredients:
6 garlic cloves
6 large dried pasilla chilies
⅓ cup fresh orange juice
⅓ cup dark beer, preferably Negra Modelo
1 tablespoon tequila 
salt

Directions:
roast the garlic, toast the chilies until they are aromatic and have lightened in color. In a small bowl, cover the chilies with hot water and let rehydrate for 20 minutes, Drain reserving ⅓ cup of the soaking water. 

Combine in a food processor or blender and process to a smooth puree. Taste and season with salt, usually about 1 teaspoon. 

Then it was time to marinate the pork to have it ready to go on the egg in the morning. We went with a pretty classic Mojo marinade orange juice, lime juice, roasted garlic, spices, and white onion. We poked holes in the pork to help the marinade get into the pork.

Into some ziplock baggies and back into the fridge for the night. 

Thats all for now, I will post more pictures and the time and temp for the pork either saturday night or sunday morning. 

I hope everyone is off to a good start to the weekend!

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Looks like a great start! Looking forward to seeing the finish and pics from the event. Enjoy the fest!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    I will be there. Looking forward to trying your stuff and meeting you as well
    XL BGE
  • Solson005
    I just threw the pork on and they are giving me a XL to cook on too. I guess they knew I did have that size in my collection yet..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Seanr7
    Might be my XL?
    XL BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Seems like things are coming together wonderfully. Can't wait for the finished pics.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I didn't know Sauza made an olive oil!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Solson005
    @td66snrf you mean you don't put tequila on veggies?

Thanks @caliking it's pretty great so far. Pork is almost ready to come off the egg!
  • Seanr7
    @solson005, nice talking to you and your taco's ROCKED
    XL BGE
  • Solson005
    @Seanr7 it was good to meet you too, thanks for the kind words about the tacos (it was rather hard to keep them hot and serve for everyone at the same time) Once the pork got done I started pulling and making tacos, then all of a sudden most of the people had left. Feel free to ask me any questions that come up once you get started cooking on your egg, i'm not too far away and can bring my small over and help with things if needed.

Here was the setup I was given: 

It was my first time cooking on the xl and I really enjoyed cooking on it. I figured it would be a charcoal hog but it really wasn't. 

I ended up taking 3rd place in the peoples choice, I think most of the votes were turned in before my tacos were ready but lots of people really enjoyed the chicken quarters I did with the new BGE Dizzy Gourmet Whirly Bird that the distributer let me try. I think it was a great time for the first eggfest at Tony's Tree Plantation and the next ones will only get better. As for me I wouldn't tie up one egg with two pork butts for 5 hours the next time around, i thought I would do more hanging out but with the extra egg to cook on it kept us pretty busy all day. 

I will post more tomorrow, but it was a great time and I'm ready for the next one!
  • Seanr7
    @Solson005, I will take you up on that very kind offer! I usually have 20-30 different beers at the house so I hope I can repay your kindness. And if you don't like beer, I have great bourbon and rye.
    XL BGE
  • Solson005
    @Seanr7 beer, bourbon, & rye, those are a few of my favorite things!
  • Seanr7
    I think we will be fast friends. I also have a pretty decent wine collection, oldest bottle is a 1968
    XL BGE
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Nice setup! So were you tempted to cook over the fire pit too? ;)

Congrats on the 3rd place in the PC!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    Congrats @Solson005! Sounds like you had a great time. 

@Seanr7 - if Solson005 is too busy I would be happy to come over!  :) 

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Gonna have to try that salsa! Looks killer...
  • Solson005
    @Seanr7 good food, drinks, and company sounds like a good start to me. @caliking can join us, but beware my invitation to his pool party last summer got lost in the mail.. He has quite the poolside setup with many different outdoor cooking gadgets down in Texas. I'm sure it was a postal issue.. 

@R2Egg2Q Thank you! We had the first frost of the season, so it was pretty chilly at 7 in the morning when I lit the egg, They had a big fire going most of the morning. That might be a good idea to make a paella at the next one. The fie pits came in handy at the end of the day, thats where they dumped all of the leftover coals for the demo eggs. It is a pretty cool venue, i'll post more pictures in a little bit. 

@Dyal_SC both of the salsas were really good, for the Pasilla one I forgot to mention I added roasted tomatoes and a jalepeno. I make the tomatillo one all the time and it is always a hit. The drunken one is better as a finishing sauce than to serve with chips and salsa. 
  • Solson005
    edited October 2013
    Ok time for the rest of the story! Tony's Tree Plantation was a great place to have the venue and Tony and his staff did a great job setting it all up. 

Here is a pic before the eggs were in there. 

Aww they are so cute at that age..

We got there a little after 7 and got the large lit and setup to smoke the pork with some pecan chunks, I brought the digiQ along to help keep the pace going since we were smoking two pork butts. 

We put it on around 275° and kept it around 350° for most of the morning. Once the pork was on we could relax a little bit and get fully setup. 

The had a bunch of donated food so it was fun cooking some different things on the XL to always have something to eat at our table. At 9 they had the lighting of the eggs so I got the XL ready and played with the temp settings till people started showing up. 

Here is some pictures of the awesome outdoor area:

My cousins son did a great job as our helper and helped me get to taste everyone else's food while my dad and I were cooking. 

Now after cooking at a eggfest I don't think I would do another long cook or I would start it at my house and finish it at the fest. 

I was very happy to be able to cook on the XL and provide food most of the day. They gave us a giant bag of chicken quarters and I had my helper score some of the new Dizzy Gourmet BGE Whirly Bird and Zensational spices from the distributor. Quite a few people said it was some of the best chicken they have had (one lady came back two more times!) 

So some of the votes I got were for the chicken and sausage rather than the tacos that weren't ready until around 1:15. But when I opened the dome on the large egg I was happy we went with the pork because it smelled delicious! 
    I think I put the perfect amount of charcoal in the large for the pork.. 

I didn't get as many pictures as I wanted. Having enough tacos out on the table while trying to serve warm tacos was a bit of a challenge but I think for our first eggiest it was a success! Thanks for all my family coming by and supporting us. I think my cousin will be needing to buy a egg, her son is on his way to becoming a Egghead!

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    My lord and I was jealous of the Pergola in the backyard.  That place is gorgeous without all the egging going on.  I'm sure it is fantastic to have such a neat place in the area.  Thanks for posting the pics.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Seanr7
    And truthfully his pics do not do that place justice. It's an incredible place landscaped better then just about any other place in OKC!
    XL BGE
  • @Solson005 - I think you said before you have a large and not an XL.  Did you have trouble setting the vents on an unfamiliar egg?  When I sold my large and bought an XL, it took a little time to relearn the vent settings because they're a little different.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    edited October 2013
    @scottborasjr Thanks that is a awesome place to dream about what a outdoor grilling area could be! 

@Seanr7 is right it is an amazing place I can see OKC getting back to being a top eggfest again. 

@Fred19Flintstone You are right I have a Large and a small BGE. So, it was my first time to cook on the XL I played with the vent settings all morning and just winged it when I threw the food on. I kept the bottom vent closed almost all the way so it wouldn't flare up on me while I had the dome open (which way my biggest worry) and used the top vents to dial the temp back in. It worked out great and I really liked having all the extra room. I wasn't too concerned with the exact temp because I was just cooking sausages and chicken quarters and I was using the thermapen for the chicken. 
  • Seanr7
    @Solson005 is there a small but dedicate group of EGGers in the metro area? If so I'm in, if not let's start one.
    XL BGE
  • Solson005
    @Seanr7 there are a few around and I was expecting to meet more at the eggfest, Maybe it was just a bad weekend. Either way that is something we could look into.
  • caliking
    That's a really swell venue to spend a day egging :)

@Solson005 - here's what happened: the pool party plan was shelved because I got wrapped up  in trying to fit an engine with afterburner to the EggCrate, all in preparation for the Running of the Eggs (convened to inaugurate the pool party). Life got in the way, SWMBO is preggers, and so we will have to wait for the pool party and Eggs Gone Wild - 1st Edition. You're first on my list when the invitations get sent out! :)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Me too?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    caliking said:
    That's a really swell venue to spend a day egging :)

@Solson005 - here's what happened: the pool party plan was shelved because I got wrapped up  in trying to fit an engine with afterburner to the EggCrate, all in preparation for the Running of the Eggs (convened to inaugurate the pool party). Life got in the way, SWMBO is preggers, and so we will have to wait for the pool party and Eggs Gone Wild - 1st Edition. You're first on my list when the invitations get sent out! :)

caliking - You mean he will be 2nd on your list. :D

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• caliking
    @henapple - of course, brother. As long as you roll in with the double O :D

@RAC - you know, I was just thinking that you would be along soon  to bust my chops about your "invitation". :) All this time I have been practicing my cooks so you get only the very best when it finally happens!

• Solson005
    @caliking just giving you a hard time, I thought I would be down your way but I didn't make the trip last summer. That place is awesome and the next one will only be better!

@RAC as long as I get an invitation you can be first.. 

@henapple you better be there. 
  • caliking
    edited October 2013
    @Solson005 - I know :) Just getting a dig in from my side! If you do happen come by this way, make sure you let me know.