Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

temp control in small egg

Options
I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on keeping a small egg running at lower temps. I currently dont have the adjustable top, so propping the top on at an angle is as much as I can control output. For air input I have a sliding bottom door, but its far from air tight. I've though of setting up a woo ring and a pizza stone, as I think it might constrict air flow, and obviously itll let me cook indirectly.

Thanks in advance

NGaHB

Comments

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Maybe try using aluminum foil at the top, cut open various hole sizes depending on how much air you need?
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    What kind of temp r u trying to achieve? I do a half decent amount of cooking on my small without the daisy wheel. Just throttle down the lower vent opening according to where u want to be, it will take a bit of practice but you'll get it.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I rarely use the top on our small. if you want a low temp start fire in center wait 10 minutes for lump to catch, then close down the lower door and way for 20-30 minutes to stabilize.  It is very hard to get the small to back down on temp once you get above 375,  225 cook will be no problem.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx