Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Did I just ruin 3 racks of ribs?

I bought the Costco 3 pack.  They were in the freezer.  Last night, I took them out to thaw.  My wife had a baby 2 days ago so needless to say I forgot about them.  Mother in law put them in the fridge this morning so I didn't get to feel how cold they were.  She said they were "cool".  Thy are cryovaced so do you think I am ok? 

Comments

• I would use them unless they smell.
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Hard telling not knowing, but better safe than sorry
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited October 2013
    Would not chance THAT sick for a $1000.00. My guess is ok but would toss them myself. Been there, done that 3 times in 65 years.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• double_ds
    double_ds Posts: 39
    edited October 2013
    When you open them up if they smell, toss them if no smell you should be ok.  Congrats on the baby!

• If I understand correctly you took them out of the freezer last night and they went in the fridge sometime this morning. Were they completely frozen when you took then out of the freezer?

If so, then you should not have any problem at all; especially if they were cryovaced.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Dang, if it were just me eating them, id risk it.  I don't want to make the Mother in law sick so I guess ill go buy a new package and secretly switch them.  My wife hates wasting food (as do I) so I guess I will secretly switch them!
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Texan, yes, they were a frozen block when I took them out.  I took them out about 6pm.  I estimate about 12 hours on the counter.
  • Well, if it were me I'd go ahead and cook them.

@Nolaegghead seems to know what he's doing. If he's around maybe he can add his 2 cents worth.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    How well do you like your Mother In-Law?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • busmania
    JRWhitee said:
    How well do you like your Mother In-Law?
    Depends on the day but she has been a HUGE help with the new baby!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Essentially, you have four hours with the surface temp above 40* F. I would cook them. I wouldn't think that from the frozen state that the surface temp would have been above 40* for that long.  Don't feed the kids.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If they were still cool they're ok. 

You cook the snot out of ribs, there's nothing that will develop in that short of a time that's going to make you sick.
    And rinse them well under cold water. Do the smell test after

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    cook-em, they should be good. just dont give any to the Kid!

Congrats. 
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited October 2013
    Agreed - They're more than likely totally fine.

I freeze my meat as well, and usually take it out of the freezer the morning of my cook.  Go to work - gone 9 ish hours.... when I get home from work it's thawed, and I cook.

I wouldn't even question it given they were frozen last night.

In addition, if they make people sick - blame the M-i-L, she IS the one who put them in the fridge... if your wife asks - "I thought i put them in the fridge last night before bed.... M-i-L's fault for just slipping em in there unnoticed" :)
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Like Little Steven said, they should be fine but rinse them and smell them. The nose knows... :@)

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I can feel for you with the new baby. My son will be 15 on Sunday. When he was a newborn he had a terrible case of colic. He would literally scream all night long. This went for about two months. My wife and I were both zombies after a while. I came home from work one day and saw a little blue plastic diaper bag on the roof???????

I could see it from the street, and I could tell it had a diaper in it. I asked my wife how that happened. She said she opened the front door and was trying to throw it into the open door of the the garage about 10 feet away. 

She throws like a girl, and it somehow ended up on the roof. I started to laugh, but she quickly reminded me that she could kill me in my sleep so I let it go. The diaper wasn't on the edge of the roof either. 

I had to get a ladder and climb on the roof to get it off. I am sure my neighbors were scratching their heads over that one. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • if they stink bring back to Costco and tell them that they were bad  I'm sure that they will make good on them so I wouldn't even bother just return to Costco and be safe 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • busmania

Thanks everyone.  I should point out that I actually really do like my MIL and we get along great!  I will open them tonight and rub them and make sure they don't smell.  just in case I went and bought more.  If the old ones stink, ill toss em.  If not, Ill have a lot of ribs for a while!

• Little Steven
    If they are cryovac you may get an off putting sulphur smell. You have to rinse them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Good luck, I was just joking about the MIL comment....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • busmania
    JRWhitee said:

haha!  I know!  I got a kick out of it and lol'ed when I read it. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Yeah, take them back to Costco. That would be really the right thing to do - not!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Rinse, smell, if OK, good to go. Hard to get sick on something that is "cryovaced" and you are going to cook the bejesus out of. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    busmania said:
    JRWhitee said:

haha!  I know!  I got a kick out of it and lol'ed when I read it. 
    good save. Your MIL may be a lurker on the forum...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Cali, It's pretty funny! I gave my wonderful, young and gorgeous MIL my medium egg for her birthday. She is lurking on the forum. She is doing really well with it too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Cali, It's pretty funny! I gave my wonderful, young and gorgeous MIL my medium egg for her birthday. She is lurking on the forum. She is doing really well with it too.
    That explains the difference in your posts.......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Don't say that man! :-O

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    busmania said:
    Texan, yes, they were a frozen block when I took them out.  I took them out about 6pm.  I estimate about 12 hours on the counter.

12 hours? No problem. I set stuff out all the time before going to work and cook them when I get back home 12 hours later. If it was chicken, I'd toss it but pork or beef is not a problem.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • busmania
    Ya'll are funny!  I opened them today and rinsed them.  After the rinse, the smelt fine.  They did have that cryovac smell when I first opened them but that's normal right?