Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Igloo $$$ at Sam's

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
imageimageimage
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Are those supposed to be comparable to Yeti and other brands?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can get the Pelican 45 (actually 50 qts) at Costco for $199. 
    edited October 2013
    Local or online, El Capitan?

NM, found it online.
  • Mickey
    Griffin said:
    Are those supposed to be comparable to Yeti and other brands?

Griff it says that right on the front. It must be true.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Looks like a Yeti knockoff.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    That is awesome Nolaegghead! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I am a big Yeti fan.  They do everything they are advertised to do. I could jump up and down on mine when I was 290 pounds, and it didn't even notice.  I have a friend that flipped his truck the other day, and his Yeti barely had a scratch.  I am friends with several people that are contractors, farmers, etc that keep them on their trucks for years with no wear on them.  

Those Igloos from the pictures look very nice.  I wonder if they have the accessories that Yeti has.  If you don't need any of the accessories that as far as I know only Yeti has, it looks like a good buy.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • nolaegghead
    Does Yeti have the unconditional lifetime guarantee like Pelican?
    They have a 5 year warranty.  I don't know anything about their warranty service though.  I don't know anyone that has had a problem with one.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    It's simple, really. The big green egg was the original that everyone copied and now yeti has everyone copying them. I love my yeti and am secretly saving for a second!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Yeti is junk.. I've had a few and still have 2 from about 10 years ago before they sold out and they had great customer service then... My newer ones had a couple issues with lid and latches ad they wanted good money to fix it!

I own a couple k2 and have had great customer service but if you want American made look at grizzly and Orca. Pelican is good stuff also
    Beaufort, SC
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

Found this online - Very interesting review....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

Milton, GA.
  • nolaegghead
    flynnbob said:

Found this online - Very interesting review....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-TE4RnqT0U

That was before Pelican released their line.   The US military uses Pelican for their equipment storage.  The latch design is superior, all metal is stainless steel, lifetime warranty.  They're made in the USA and they're certified bear resistant.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_coolers.php?Case=45QT
    I almost got caught up in all this hype and bought a 100 quart Igloo with wheels and a handle that is mint. It was about $120. I don't think most folks need these extreme coolers.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I've never seen a Pelican cooler, but I like their cases.  I have several that I keep guns, diving equipment, etc in.  We also had them at my last job where we traveled all over the world with electronic equipment.  If the cooler is anything like those cases, they are a very well built cooler.  No doubt.

I had never seen an Engel before this video, but they look really nice too.

plumbfir01 I don't know what you do with your coolers, but I have seen Yeti abused like crazy with no trouble out of any of them.  I don't know anyone that has needed customer service from them.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Everyone has there own opinion of everything. I'm sold on my two Yetis though. 

When I can go up to Kansas in the heat of the summer for 6 days at a hot race track and not buy ice once I'm sold.

I imagine those igloos can do the same thing as long as the Pelican.

I do disagree the Yeti is junk though.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• In the river my lids get hot and warp.. Stop sealing and latches break. I use my coolers, not tie them in the back f my truck like a status symbol. All in all they are all about the same as far as brands, just comes down to customer service to me
    Beaufort, SC
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    In the river my lids get hot and warp.. Stop sealing and latches break. I use my coolers, not tie them in the back f my truck like a status symbol. All in all they are all about the same as far as brands, just comes down to customer service to me
    So - who's got the best CS?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    TUTTLE871 said:
    Everyone has there own opinion of everything. I'm sold on my two Yetis though. 

When I can go up to Kansas in the heat of the summer for 6 days at a hot race track and not buy ice once I'm sold.

I imagine those igloos can do the same thing as long as the Pelican.

I do disagree the Yeti is junk though.

Who said Yeti is junk?!
  • I was at the deer lease this summer in north Texas with the other guys on the lease. It was 106 degrees by the afternoon. One guy had a Pelican and had to go to town to get more ice by late afternoon and then again the next day. The other guy had a yeti with 6 bags of ice in it. On the 3rd day I opened it and it still had 6 bags of ice in it. That's all I needed to see. I'm saving the extra $100 or so for a Yeti.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'll throw my 2 cents in I guess.

I've been using super premium coolers since long before they were popular. Primarily the 320 and 200 qt SSI and large Icy Tech.

When comparing ice usage it's important to remember that opening the cooler will impact ice melt more than anything.

In other words, you can fill equal sized yeti and Walmart Colman coolers with equal amounts of ice. If you use the yeti as the party beer cooler and never open the Colman, the Colman will hold ice longer.

The 320 SSI will hold ice for two weeks on a dock in Florida summer but it will burn all the ice in 48hrs if you are constantly opening it throwing hot fish inside.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Once they put wheels on a yeti I will get one. I have almost bought one several times and was even gonna buy the portable wagon from Costco to move it around but decided to stick with my colemans with wheels.
  • engle and orca have best customer service. also dont forget ice hole coolers
    Beaufort, SC
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I didn't see that one at my Costco, but I did see the 95-qt. for $299.  Both seem like a good buy.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have two yetis. One 20 and one 45. Love them both but they are heavy.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I know I'm resurrecting a zombie thread, but I went to SAMs yesterday with full intent on buying this cooler. Now 199$. But once I got my hands on it and looked around it is no comparison to any high end cooler. Non of the 5 they had lined up. Felt very cheap. All the hinges and latches were off center and very cheap. This is a sad USA copy of a high end cooler.

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    I bought my second Yeti today. Had the 45 and got a 20 Roadie. Took the 45 on a trip after 10 days still holding ice in the car. Was opened at least twice a day. Did have a Polar Bear for drinks behind the seat for constant use.

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Mickey said:
    I bought my second Yeti today. Had the 45 and got a 20 Roadie. Took the 45 on a trip after 10 days still holding ice in the car. Was opened at least twice a day. Did have a Polar Bear for drinks behind the seat for constant use.

@Mickey‌ How much can you do with the 45? Counted it out for trips and meat, but really think I need to go to the 75 to get the extra height.

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    edited April 2014
    Mickey said:

You are a better man than I sir. No way I could lift the 75 full of xxx. That 45 is all I want to screw with. Just two of us and it is wonderful. Think with this Roadie 20 should be just fine. @Mickey‌ How much can you do with the 45? Counted it out for trips and meat, but really think I need to go to the 75 to get the extra height.

Read that a second time. Got it out of line