Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch Oven Has Legs

Options
Was planning a Chili for Halloween and the office chili cook-off.  I have a 12qt DO, but it's the camp style, with legs.  Anyone have experience using one of these on the BGE?  I was thinking of setting it on my AR spider with the spider legs down and between the fire ring and fire box.  Is that too close to the heat?

Also, I want some smokiness in the chili, do I HAVE to smoke the meat first, or will the chili itself absorb some in the process.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you smoke the meat, it will be more than enough. . You don't have to smoke the meat if you add a few chunks while simmering the chili.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think the DO with legs would work great.  I would just put on the plate setter and then set the DO on the plate setter (or the equivalent set up with the AR).  I don't think you would want to drop the DO too close to the heat or else it might be too hot on the bottom. 

It certainly doesn't hurt to cook the meat on the egg first, but simmering it on the egg will add some smoke flavor.  I think it helps to stir it periodically because the smoke flavor seems to settle on top.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I use my ci do with legs directly on the ps...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    The legged version DO is perfect, it spaces itself from the setter or AR and you get nice heat from all sides. Agree with 'Cellsior, smoke while simmer adds enough. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options

I agree with the others as well! Must be an echo in here, huh? LOL By the way I believe Lodge calls these 3 legged models a "camp" style.image
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SeeingSpots
    Options
    RRP, that is the exact model I have.  There certainly is a ton of experience replying to this thread...I think i can trust this advice  :P 

...Thanks All!
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Not sure why, but when I read the title of this thread, this popped into my head:

"Dutch Oven Has Legs!"            "Wolfman's got nards!"

imagehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeMe3X884o
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SeeingSpots
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Not sure why, but when I read the title of this thread, this popped into my head:

"Dutch Oven Has Legs!"            "Wolfman's got nards!"

imagehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeMe3X884o
    Thanks.  I was going for shock value to get more hits.   >:)
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Dutch oven has a completely different meaning in my house... If I tell SWMBO "beans in the Dutch Oven", I think she'll have paperwork for me to sign. :)

I have a camp style too - on a camping trip, a friend made hatch green chili pork chili (no beans) - 4 hours on a campfire.  It was either great, or I was ready to eat a tree at that point.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    You dig some coals off to the side, place the oven in the coal bed you created, then take the coals off to the side and dump them on top.  Heat all around.  Camp dutch oven.

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I don't have one with the legs, but when I make chili (or other recipes) I place the pot directly on the grate and brown the meat at 350 dome. Once browned, I take it out, put the plate setter in legs up and use the three green feet to gain space between the plate setter and DO. Yours wouldn't need the spacers and I bet the three feet on yours would probably fit between the grate.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can smoke the vegetables (onions, peppers, whatever) and meat on the egg, then make the chili on your stove and save yourself some lump.  And you can fit a much larger pot on your stove than on the egg (and still close the lid).
    Options
    Another memory of the old dutch campfire oven just hit me - 

We rubbed the outside of the oven with dishwashing liquid before putting it into the fire.  Counterintuitive for those looking to season the outside of the oven, but made cleanup from the creosote MUUUUUCH easier.  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I do like Griff does as mine does not have feet, but at the Eggfest I needed 2 dutch ovens to do my chili and one had legs I set the legged one on the platesetter and put the rack on top of it and set mine without legs on the rack. I had smoked the brisket previous to making the chili, chopped it up and added more oak wood chunks when I made the chili it couldn't have been better, smokey and spicy. I didn't have one complaint. 

Johns Creek, Georgia