Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: new "egg" relate hoby

Just started warming the incubator today! Setting some fertilized eggs Thursday and hoping to be eating fresh eggs and spatchcocking my chickens next summer!!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• I guess this will be easier than sitting on them until they hatch.  ;)

How many birds are you planning to have?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

However many hatch!! 

Ha, for now I am just setting free fertilized eggs from a work friend to see what happens.  I had all the stuff to make a brooder, borrowed the incubator, and have enough scrap wood and things for a small 3-5 chicken coop & run. So basically starting out for nothing.

If these "free" chicks work well, When it warms up I will buy enough chicks from the feed stores in the spring to have around 5-7 laying hens.  

If these eggs turn into rooster, we will just eat them all but one or two for mating. 

XLBGE 
  • It will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

I was talking with my local guy who raises cattle and chickens. He was telling me how violent the rosters can be towards one another unless they are castrated.

Good luck with the whole process
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Sweet. I love fresh eggs, so I'm jealous. When I lived in Iowa, somehow i started getting free issues of "Backyard Poultry" magazine. There were some interesting tips in there for building DIY equipment like feeders, etc. 

I especially dig the repurposing of the Maverick!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggs are set! 7 of them. Ill candle them in a few days and check for signs of life. Super eggcited!

XLBGE 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you get roosters, let one mature and make coq au vin.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I hope you did not move in next door..
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I hope you did not move in next door..
    My next door neighbor started raising chickens, has about 9 of them.  They're all exotically colored, really pretty (for chickens) and it cracks me up the way they all run up to me if I walk up to the fence, like a dog.  
    He's just raising them for the eggs, not meat, so a rooster is not necessary.  And I would be a grouchy person if he ever does get a rooster.  
    :-L

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I put 42 eggs in my incubator in the spring and 36 hatched. Now I have a lot of chickens running around. Good luck to ya!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .