Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie Pizza Crust Problems...

Hi Everybody,

First of all I want to say I have really enjoyed this forum over the last month, and have learned a lot from you guys and gals.  I am fairly new to the BGE, but do have some experience having helped my father grill on his a few times, and I purchased mine about 3 weeks ago.  With that being said, I am having pizza crust problems.  My setup is a medium egg with BGE lump, a placesetter facing down, and my BGE pizza stone (from Eggtoberfest!) sitting on my grate.  I normally make sure my lump is at the ring then light it up.  Once I get the temp to 500-550 degrees I go ahead and add the placesetter, grate and pizza stone and let them get up to temperature for around 20-30 minutes while im preparing.  Once I've got everything ready I use parchment paper cut to the size of my crust to slide it off easier.  I have been letting it cook for 7-10 minutes depending on how it looks, but on the last 4 that I've done the crust has been black by the time the top looks like its cooked well enough.  I did ditch the parchment paper once and used a little bit of corn meal to keep the dough from sticking to the slider, and its still came out black.  Thanks for your help guys!

Also, the dough that I've used so far is pillsbury that comes in the cans.  If theres something I've left out just let me know and I will be glad to fill you in. 

Comments

• I try to get my pizza as high in the dome as possible.  The convection up in there is a more even heat and seems to help the topping cook better.

Maybe try raising the stone with some fire bricks or get an adjustable rig.

Just my thoughts, but will defer to the pros on this board...I'll hang up and listen.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2013
    Some thoughts:

- Lower the temperature a bit.  Perhaps stay closer to 500 or a bit under. 
    -Raise the stone. The egg will be hotter near the top and heat will radiate from the dome.  The top will cook faster so it will be done before the bottom burns.  Use fire bricks or make a raised grid to raise it. 
    -Perhaps roll/stretch the dough out a little thinner. That pie looks pretty thick so it will take a while to cook through.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I think your problem is the canned pillsbury dough. That stuff is hard to keep from burning on the bottom even in the oven at lower temps.Your set up looks good, so switch the dough to something else. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have good dough balls. Walmart also has frozen dough balls. Some local grocery stores like Harris Teeter have good dough balls also. Another option is to make your own dough. Takes some practice, but is relatively easy.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Agree on the dough. Most commercial dough contains sugar which has a much lower burn temp. Find something with no sugar or better yet mix your own.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    agree on the dough, instead stop by the bakery section and them for some pizza dough. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2013
    Making your own dough is very simple; just allow time according to whatever recipe you go with.

Raising your stone a couple of inches or so above your gasket level should solve your problem re: the crust cooking faster than the top.

And... welcome to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • Hey, my wife makes the dough home made. I can get you that recipe if you like. Just let me know. I love pizza on the BGE.  I have had issues getting the dough on the pizza brick, so this is how I do it: 1) Get the fire hot, real hot. 2) Put the place setter legs down; 3) put 2 bricks on the place setter (you want to cook the pizza high in the dome and let the hot air in the dome cook the pizza); 3)I put the pizza brick down; 4) Get the temperature set for about 550 degrees; and 5) I ditched cooking my pizza on the brick and cook it on the pizza pan. Put the pizza pan on the pizza brick. Pizza should be done in 15-20 minutes, once crust is golden and cheese has a good golden color. I will take this pizza any day instead of purchasing from a store. Good luck!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

The reason people have problems with pizza on the Egg always comes down to the dough. You have to know at what temp that dough was designed to be cooked at. I think some people see on the forum that people are cooking their dough at X temperature and figure that is what they should use. Doesn't work that way. I've got dough recipes that work best at 350 and others that work best over 600F. If you are going to stick to using Pilsbury dough, then I suggest trying to use whatever temperature dough they recommend. Probably 350 I'm guessing. Me? I'd quit using that stuff and make your own. Might take a bit longer, but it isn't hard.

Other tips, light your charcoal, throw in whatever set up you are using and let it all come up to temp together. let it stabilize and pre-heat 20-30 minutes.

For set up, I go plate setter legs down, three green feet (or other spacers) and then the BGE pizza stone. You might try raising it higher, but I've never needed to when cooking at the correct temp.

If all else fails, and the bottom is getting done before the top, there's no shame in finishing it under the broiler. I've had to do it before when working with new dough. Better than having burnt crust and raw top.

Good luck and keep at it. You'll get the hang of it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thanks for the help guys!  Went to the grocery on my lunch break, and picked up 2 different types of dough besides the canned pillsbury stuff.  The bakery had some they homemade in bags so I bought a few pounds of that, and I picked up 2 of the Mama Mary's thin crust.  I am making some of the chocolate chip pizza I had at Eggtoberfest a few weekends ago with that thin crust.  I will be using every tip you guys gave me today, and if you've got anything else to add please post it!  Thanks for everything guys, and I will let yall know how it goes this evening.

Charleston Griller, I would love to get your wifes dough recipe! 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    Welcome. Something's not right with your set-up. MBGE, setter on the fire ring with the legs up, the grid should be at the felt line. Your pic clearly shows it below the felt line by a bunch.

This is a brisket pic, but note how my grid is at the felt line when sitting on the setter legs. Assuming it is the right setter, are you sure you have a fire ring in that thing? If you have a stone on the grid, the pie will be above the felt line, your's is sitting deep in the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Real pizza dough is raised with yeast, this Pilsbury stuff uses baking soda and acid for leavening.  The yeast uses the sugar for food so when you make a dough and age it overnight in the fridge the sugar is actually being consumed by the yeast so you would have less burning.  I think once you learn to make dough you will wonder why you haven't all along because it is so easy.

Gerhard
  • When I responded to your post this morning, it made me want pizza! So, pizza on the egg tonight for me!

Eddie

Raleigh, NC