Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chicken Tortilla Soup

TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Ok everyone loves spatch chicken and I make it quite often, since ther are two of us I have to plan ahead of what I will do with the left over bird. Well its getting to that time of the year that soups and you are craving something hearty to eat.

I've made Tortilla soup for years and I am pretty sure that's the meal I made that convinced my wife that I'm a legit Tortilla soup maker. Not to brag but she went to The Mansion (Restaurant in Dallas that's famous) to compare soups. She came home and said hands down mine was better. Yes I know she might be saying that to make me feel better about myself but to this day she requests mine. 

Left Over Bird boil in water and chicken broth, pull bird out and debone and chop up into pieces 
1 bunch Cilantro 
1 chopped Onion 
1 chopped jalapeño 
2 hatch chillies 
2 cans Broth 
3 chopped Tomato 
Chopped Garlic 
Spices, Cumin, Paprika, pepper, and chili powder. 

Sorry about the amounts of what to add but I'm the kind who grabs and goes and if its off a little I just add to taste. I put on the egg around 1 today and Took off around 7 tonight, cooked indirect about 275. I kept checking on it and if I got low on juice I would add some water and keep it simmering. Came out awesome.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

image.jpg 447K
image.jpg 1.5M
image.jpg 1.8M
image.jpg 1.5M
·

Comments

• "Snatch" chicken? Sounds delish.
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I should of stopped after the third martini.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,947
    Thanks for the recipe.  Sounds terrific! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • Looks wonderful, Tuttle.  I was going to get after you for not having tortillas in your recipe, but I saw them in your plated picture.   ;;)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Looks good!  So you spatch the chicken, then boil it? for how long?  add chicken and other stuff and simmer for several hours.  Just not sure about the boiling part
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,920
    Looks great, Tuttle. Love me some tortilla soup. I'll have to try yours.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,907
    I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • AquacopAquacop Posts: 468
    On the list, thanks for posting!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,412
    I love chicken tortilla soup.  Thanks for posting!
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • Looks good. I need to make some of that the next time I spatch a chicken.
    SE PA
    XL, Mini max
    ·
    Looks good!  So you spatch the chicken, then boil it? for how long?  add chicken and other stuff and simmer for several hours.  Just not sure about the boiling part

I like to boil it the day after I have cooked it, I like the idea of throwing the whole bird in the pot and broiling it with bones and the spices on the chicken skin as well. I think it makes a nice broth for the soup.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • Thanks!  The next day, got it
    ·
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,619
    Thanks Tuttle, my wife makes tortilla soup as well I will have to compare recipes. 

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Looks good!  So you spatch the chicken, then boil it? for how long?  add chicken and other stuff and simmer for several hours.  Just not sure about the boiling part
    Hey you!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Hey you back :D

Can you get notified about comments on post?

If so how?

·
    You know me darlin' true computer whiz. You can but I don't know how. Hey to Teresa

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Susan, If you go to your profile and then to notification preferences you can set stuff up there. It looks like bookmarking may be the way to select the topics you want. I get notified about comments when I post the original thread.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • On my list for this week...
    ·
  • Thanks Little Steven!
    ·
  • aemaem Posts: 115
    I like to make extra chicken and freeze it to use in tortilla soup.  We use a super easy recipe that is basically Chicken & Rice soup, a can of Rotel tomatoes, and frozen corn.  Add chicken, heat in a crock pot (or stove top if you're in a hurry), and throw in some tortilla strips at the end.  Not gourmet, but a good, fast, weekday meal.  Chicken from the egg makes it taste great.
    ·

This is one I did a few years ago after I smuggled some queso fresca home from Mexico.

I had planned to do this on the egg entirely but the weather was lousy. Grilled the chicken and tomatoes on the egg at least.

Some rich chicken stock I made yeterday, jalapenos, dried passilas, onion, garlic, burned tomatoes, cilantro stems and achiotte.
    Fried tortilla strips
    Garnished with cilantro, avacado, red onion and queso fresca

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Forgot to add on this recipe. I had some roasted corn in the fridge and cut all the kernels off and threw them in the soup also. 

Today for leftovers I threw a can of Rotel in as well.

You can't go wrong with Rotel.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • Do you have to "throw" them?  That sounds so violent.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
    Do you have to "throw" them?  That sounds so violent.

It rained today and I wanted to mow my yard and wash my filthy Truck, so I was letting out a little aggression.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·