Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a few pics...pizza question

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
playing with the camera...

morning view on guntersville
my bud...
dock..
lucy...
green golf ball...
pizza on the stone
deep dish in the ci pan

my dough is really coming together...best i've done. the bottom of the crust is not getting cooked as well or done as i would like while the top is ... not hot enough?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

Dude, you've got over 5700 posts here.  You're not supposed to have questions.  If you don't have the answer by now, give it up.

And send me that pizza so I can dispose of it properly.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    Options
    Yeah but only 16 of those post actually involved food....
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Dude, you've got over 5700 posts here.  You're not supposed to have questions.  If you don't have the answer by now, give it up.

And send me that pizza so I can dispose of it properly.

Yeah, but most of his posts are some really funny stuff, the comedian is trying to change his spots... Nice pics by the way.
    Usual issue I've seen with an underdone crust is the stone is not hot enough or can't hold the heat (doesn't have the thermal mass) If the top is browning but not heating all the way through and the crust is browning but not totally cooked, might be the temp is too high. Have you tried the same pie at different temps? Try dropping 50º first time. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Thin crust/hand tossed on the stone needs to cook differently than deep dish. For hand tossed on the stone, I like it right up at 700*, but you need to go light on the toppings, just enough sauce and cheese.

CI Deep Dish, still haven't nailed yet, got closest last time. I think I was at 450* for about 30 minutes or so, heavy on the sauce and cheese.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Letz4wheel
    Options
    I read a post somewhere the other day. She said she put the dough in the cast iron skillet then put it on a hot burner for a few minutes the on to the egg to finish. She said it gave here the doneness she was looking for.
    Southern Indiana
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Drop the CI skillet as close as you can to the plate setter. I would cut the handle off your skillet and put egg feet on the plate setter then put the skillet on the feet. May burn your crust but you can raise up from there.
  • henapple
    Options
    The cast iron came out pretty good. CI on bricks on inverted ps. The pizzas on the stone.... Just must not be hot enough. By far the best dough... Finally.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    How long are you preheating the stone? I usually give mine 30 min once dome is at 700* and use an IR gun to make sure the stone is at least 600* before I start. I have a flashlight standing by so I can look down into the dome to check the top without opening the egg. You can see by the crust and cheese once its getting there. I have had trouble with the crust getting too charred if the stone is too hot. Little trick I found that seems to work is take a damp rag across the stone for the first pie and that will cool the surface enough to prevent burning the crust.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I do my pizzas plate setter feet up, spider feet down on the grate, stone on the spider and preheat at 500 for at least 30 minutes. Once the pizza is on open the egg up all the way with the DFMT on and cook about 10 minutes.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    henapple said:
    Yeah but only 16 of those post actually involved food....

Yeah, I guess if we take away the posts involving PBR or Ozark Oak you're a newbie...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    Damn fine looking pie!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've got one of these for pizza making http://www.amazon.com/Kintrex-IRT0421-Non-Contact-Thermometer-Targeting/dp/B0017L9Q9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382069321&sr=8-1&keywords=Kintex

Its served me well for my wfo and the egg.  Also has other uses like checking temps at the ac vents,  etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.