Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Three butts, one Maverick

Options

I'm cooking 3 pork butts tomorrow night. All are about the same size (6-7lbs), can I assume that they'll all finish about the same time?  I only have one probe, and since this will be an overnight cook, I can't be (not that I would anyway) constantly checking muliple temps.

I typically FTC at 200, but what happens if a pork roast goes a bit beyond that range?  At what point does the roast start to dry out?  215-ish?

If I can fit all of them on the main grid, I'll do that, otherwise, I'll probably put two on the main grid and one raised.  Any tips, or anything else I should consider?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Don worry aboudit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Hey Sam, last time I did multiple butts I put the probe in the smallest piece of meat and started checking the other ones with a thermapen once that reached 190.  Ended up foiling each but between 198* and 201* within half an hour of each other.  I also bumped up the temp for the last couple of hours to move things along a little quicker and I also think that helped keep the temperatures relatively close.  Only other thing I would say is to make sure your drip pan is big enough to catch all the drippings or you could end up with a grease fire on your hands.

Good luck and enjoy the cook!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Excellent.  Thanks for the quick response!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Yeah what Scott said. Also, they should all fit on the main grid. I did three 8's awhile back and they all fit.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• plumbfir01
    Options
    mine all reached 165 about same time but all were pulled at 203ish and were about an hour apart each and all were same shape and 9lbs each
    Beaufort, SC