Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sledgehammer Chickens

Options
You remember the Peter Gabriel music video for "Sledgehammer" where at one point a plucked chicken was dancing with the music?  Well that's what comes to mind when I look at these two "beer can" chickens.  I am going to call them Sledgehammer chickens from now on.  image

Anyways, this was dinner tonight.  Rubbed them down with Pennzy's Galena Street rub. Brought the Egg to 350 grate (indirect with PS and drip pan) with some Apple wood for smoke and put them on.  One sat on the can, the other on a genuine BGE accessory called a "Sittin' Chicken".  I kind of like the BGE thing as it has a broad base and is more stable than the can.  The temp got away from me for a bit and these birds spent some time close to 400, but they were none the worse for it.  Cook time to 165 IT was just over 1-1/2 hours for 2- 6 lb birds.  I oiled, salted, and pre-microwaved a monster baked potato, and gave it 45 minutes on the grill for the starch. 

The chickens were flavorful and juicy, but does the beer and can make a difference? Not that I can tell.  All the chickens I have indirect grill smoke roasted were pretty similar, I did not taste the beer in them at all. The one on the can was open on the top, I could look down into the can, so I am sure any steam or aroma just went out into the egg.  I believe cooking chicken to the right temperature is the key to a juicy chicken.  

Bottom line, dinner was great, and we have 4 more meals coming with the leftover chicken (Chicken Caesar salads tomorrow).  As I write this, the carcasses are simmering and should give up 3-4 quarts of rich broth for soups etc.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Cookinbob said:
    The chickens were flavorful and juicy, but does the beer and can make a difference? Not that I can tell.  All the chickens I have indirect grill smoke roasted were pretty similar, I did not taste the beer in them at all. 
    I think it was on the Naked Whiz site where they debunked the "beer/infusion" myth; the chicken is taken off at about 170, and beer/water doesn't boil until 212 or so.  Sure, there's some evaporation/vapor, but enough to flavor the meat?  Prolly not.  

Seeing two beercan chickens on a grill gives me all kinds of ideas for phunny photos!  I'm a music freak and have the video "The making of Peter Gabriel's SO" and they had a funny section about how hot video lights and stop-motion raw chicken posing tends to make the studio smell funny after a bit... 
    :))

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    They look real good.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Both birds look like they're taking a dump with their elbows and arms on their legs for a little extra "oomph"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Maybe that's why most eggers spatchcock instead of sitting on the can :D
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY