Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sicilian Pizza

Has anybody made this before? I'm guessing I'll get a lot of yes':-D. My last deployment with the USN was Sicily and my favs were the authentic kiln oven Sicilian Pizza and bruschetta. So, I'm going to my best to replicate it on my BGE this coming weekend. OBW I have NEVER made a pizza and will be making everything from scratch (except for the sauce). Any advice or tips would be appreciated fellow eggheads.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Although true Sicilian pie is usually rectangular, I make it round, like a deep dish because I have a round pan and it fits better in the egg. 
    Similar to regular pizza but thicker like a Chicago deep dish. The tomatoes go on the dough with the sausage/toppings next and then the cheese and it is cooked like deep dish, 400-500º. Family prefers Chicago deep dish, so we usually make that in a skillet.
    Let us know how it goes, pizza is always good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I make my Sicilian pizza with my normal pizza dough (flour, water, salt, oil, yeast).  I oil or Pam a rectangular baking dish liberally and then press out the dough (lightly) until it reaches the edges.  I'll let that rise for an hour or so.  Once done, I'll sprinkle some seasonings on the dough, add the shredded mozz and then lay 3 or 4 stripes of sauce on a 45* angle on top of the cheese.  Bake it at 450* until the cheese starts bubbling/browning.