Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Submarine Brisket

Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thatshould pop a few periscopes..eh'JJ??
Well..the story is this one is treading on turf not yet explored..maybe!!
Got a rather nice point of brisket about 6 lbs, with a very thin fat cap. Nearly nothing, so took some of my own advice and prepared it a bit different.
(a) marinated for 24 hours in Dales Marinate, made in that great state of Alabama in Birmingham. Great stuff.
Then!!!!
(1) using a sharp small knife, I thinly sliced a large elephant clove (Frieda's) and inserted portions of them into flat pockets made under the fat cap layer. Insert the knife flatways and make a pocket, not down into the meats. Made about 20 or 30 of em across the top.[p](2) Once the garlic was inserted, I sliced up a shallot, and layered the top if the brisket with slices.[p](3) Next, using a Frenches large mustard container, I deco'ed the top with mustard and using my fingers, smoothed it into a layer over the exposed meats, shallots and inserted garlic..(Man this is smelling great) Just the top part of the brisket, bottom is just marinate.[p](4) To supplement the lack of fat cap, I layed about 5 strips of bacon across the brisket on top of the mustard and other stuff lengthways, and then cut several in half and layed crossways.[p](5) Topping that off with a dusting of Famous Daves Rib Rub, and into the "EGG".[p](6) The egg was nearly full of leftover charcoal from a previous cook and I simply restarted it with a small chunk of firelog in the center, and covered the "core" fire with a few chunks of used charcoal, and tossed on a used large chunk of left over hickory.
The egg was chortling along at 150 degrees when I very carefully and the tender care (takes care of you tosser's and thrower's out there) place my brisket in over a firebrick and drip pan set up. Let it slowly (20 -30 minutes) build up heat and smoke to 250F degrees..and tightend up the vents.[p]Thats it so far...will I bomb out? Duck the depth charges..hope it works..Dang it smells like a winner.
Sooooooooooo Goooooood..I hope.
Cheers...C~W[p]

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Char-Woody,[p]Sounds good to me! If I bring the Bud Light and some tasty desserts, can I come???[p]Cornfed
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Cornfed,
    The CEO of Budweiser, the CEO of Miller and the CEO of Guiness all met for lunch. When the waiter arrived at the table he asked if anyone wanted something from the bar. The CEO of Budweiser asked for a Bud Light, The CEO from Miller asked for a Miller light and the CEO of Guiness asked for a Coke. The other CEO's asked why he wanted a coke and his reply was that if those two were not going to drink any beer neither was he.

• Cornfed
    JJ,[p]Nice! I love a nice, hearty Guiness! Some Irish bars around here even serve it with a Shamrock shape carved out of the awesome head of the beer. One interesting factoid is that Guiness actually has a lower alcohol content than Bud. Most people are surprised by this since you sometimes need a knife and fork to enjoy a Guiness.[p]I've said for some time now if I was stuck on a deserted island with only 3 beers (I can't choose one), I'd take Guiness, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (you gotta have Christmas even on a deserted island), and some Chimay.[p]Good drinks to go with gooooooooooooood eats!
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    JJ,[p]Nice! I love a nice, hearty Guiness! Some Irish bars around here even serve it with a Shamrock shape carved out of the awesome head of the beer. One interesting factoid is that Guiness actually has a lower alcohol content than Bud. Most people are surprised by this since you sometimes need a knife and fork to enjoy a Guiness.[p]I've said for some time now if I was stuck on a deserted island with only 3 beers (I can't choose one), I'd take Guiness, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (you gotta have Christmas even on a deserted island), and some Chimay.[p]Good drinks to go with gooooooooooooood eats!
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Cornfed, if you get a chance..do this twist with a brisket..I am renaming it to Buckaroo Brisket.
    I just snuck a pinch off the corner, and this baby is the crowning glory of all I have made so far..They all seem to be better than the last one, but this one is different. Its the bacon on top thats giving it a different taste.
    About midnight it comes off, and I will pop a Guiness and sample ...Maybe eat half the dang thing...:-) Tell ya about tender later..temp actually falling a bit right now. Around 150F internal after 8.5 hours.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Cornfed, you betcha..posted below twixt you and JJ...Love that Guiness in a frozen glass mug...the foam gets a frozen cap on it.
    C~W