Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Intimidated by torque....

Options

Muddled through set up today with some assistance and borrowed tools. I borrowed the torque wrench from my car mechanic neighbor - the 10'/lb setting was the lowest any of his wrenches would go. After some back and forth trips because the nuts were 1/2" instead of the 5/16" and we needed a small socket to fit into the tight area. Whew... Then the directions wanted to tighten the clinch bolts to 5'/lb. His tools don't go that low. The torque wrenches I found in town were $200 or looked like crap. So I tightened the bolts quite firmly but not as tight as I could possibly get them. Do you think I am okay? Or do I have to chase down another wrench? Thanks! 

Comments

• ShadowNick
    Options
    I hand tightened everything on both my eggs... No problem 2 years in. I just double check the tightness twice a year when the clocks change. Just like smoke detectors :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Bend those bolts at least 20 deg or else the bands will slip at high temps ie >500 deg cooks.

Trust me I know.... lol
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I actually followed the guidelines in the instructions and used a 5 gallon bucket of water to achieve my 10 ft lb setting.  When I told my BGE Dealer, he laughed and said he assembles them all the time and never uses a torque wrench.  

I have loosened the bands from the top twice (to remove it and install the egg in my table), re-tightened using only my judgement, and everything is good.  By the way, my gasket seal is tighter after this process than ever was after the initial assembly.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • bearcat
    bearcat Posts: 41
    Options
    I got the carriage bolts to the proper torque setting per my limited understanding. The carriage bolts are slightly bent as well as the bands. I was ready to take off the white plastic thing when I realized I didn't have a way to do the clinch bolts with a torque wrench. Someone mentioned overtightening and popping the heads off the bolt.

Unfortunately for this project the extensive array of tools my sister and I inherited from our dad are woodworking tools..... Planers jointers bandsaws I have but no torque ..
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    No need for a torque wrench. Just bend those bolts.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    LOL. It's not like we're torquing head bolts or a crankshaft. Just snug them up good and you will be fine.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Whoa here. A torque wrench in the range of what is needed is less than a bag of lump. You can pick one up at Harbor Freight or Princess Auto. Torque wrench is like $15 and a Thermapen is $95, two totally different things. Bend your bolts, go by feel or like the kid at the tire store, just crank on them with the impact wrench until nothing moves or do it right, like the good folks at BGE suggest, 120 inch pounds. Although i agree with @Terrebandit, it is not rocket science. I don't use a torque wrench much on head bolts because I've done it so many times. Snugging 40 to 70 ft pounds is easy, 10 ft pounds, not so much. 
    I still think a torque wrench is a great tool to have. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    While it isn't rocket science  I do believe over tightening the bolts can also cause problems...why I  don't know?? But I know my bolts were bent and at more than 10 ft/lbs and the bands still slipped at high heat?? So to me too little is bad and too much is equally as bad. Maybe im just unlucky who knows...but a cheap torque wrench would make it right.Maybe over tightening restricts expansion of the ceramic or band the itself.. For me it created a big problem.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • bearcat
    bearcat Posts: 41
    Options
    Ok so I live in the boondocks. I am going into the bustling metropolis of Waterville today and will look for a cheap torque wrench. Meanwhile here is the egg snuggled up next to my mud oven at least for the winter. Some protection from winter weather.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    bearcat said:
    Ok so I live in the boondocks. I am going into the bustling metropolis of Waterville today and will look for a cheap torque wrench. Meanwhile here is the egg snuggled up next to my mud oven at least for the winter. Some protection from winter weather.

Nice at least you are under roof. I am wide open. The oven looks great BTW. I love brick oven pizza so for me the egg was great for that taste. Pizza is one of my favorite things to cook. I love making my own dough too. It is so easy.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @bearcat - like that mud oven and egg, those two look so cute nestled in there together. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    There's a great David Wilcox song called "Do The Bearcat"

Not sure why I thought to mention it but your handle reminded me of the song.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Wilcox has been so underappreciated eh?

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options

Mrs. TOTN, being a "real" Canadian and having been in the GTA since her early teens, was always a big fan and introduced me to his music; which I really enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited October 2013
    Options
  • Little Steven
    Options

Mrs. TOTN, being a "real" Canadian and having been in the GTA since her early teens, was always a big fan and introduced me to his music; which I really enjoy!

I remember seeing him in the old clubs in the city. El Mocombo, Horseshoe Tavern and the Brunswick House.