Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How to break in a new EGG HELP

papasmurf2papasmurf2 Posts: 10
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hi All

I just bought a LBGE and wanted to know how to break it in!! the dealer said not to go above 350 for the first few times to seal the gasket any suggestions on what to cook etc would be appreciated.
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,572
    Chicken... I'd fire it up and just get it to 300, have a few drinks and throw some chicken on,..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 347
    Welcome and enjoy the ride.  Fire it up and play with temps. like get to 250 and hold for awhile. than take to different temps and hold for awhile. Just adjust and let it ride 15 to 30 mins. Let it settle and don't chase the temp.Try chicken, veggies anything you cook in the oven you can cook on the egg. Get your temp like oven and cook for how long u would inside. Grilling is like regular grilling just better.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,519
    Don't sweat it.  Grab a beverage and enjoy the ride.  You'll eventually decide to go with a Rutland gasket.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • That's good advice and i will definitely experiment. Thank You for your help and advice.
    ·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,330
    Just fun with it. A low and slow pork butt or ribs is good after you give chicken a try.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·
  • I'm new and learning everyday but I have found the key to obtaining the correct temp is in how you light the egg. One spot up front for a low and slow. Three/four spots for a hotter flame has worked great for me. First couple lights I got too hot and its hard to bring the egg temp down...up is no problem. Good luck and enjoy!'
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,492
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    Toss on meat and cook, it will be fine
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·