Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp vs. grate temp

Options
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I'm a new guy...how much a difference is there? Had my new LBGE three weeks now and have been trying a few cooks obviously and attempting to get dialed in. So far so good. Did a meatloaf tonight and turned out fantastic. Done a spatchcocked chicken, CSR's, and a few pizzas, all came out good. Looking at doing a brisket soon and wondered about the temp difference, if there even is one. Comments? Thanks guys..
Cherry Hill, NJ

Comments

• plumbfir01
    Options
    20-35 difference is what i am seeing... as a matter of fact, Its currently 27-28 degrees different. 

Beaufort, SC
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options

The dome is higher than the grate then? Appreciate the response.

Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    30 minutes after lighting the egg probably 30-35 degrees but the longer the cook the closer they get. This is based on a low and slow though higher temp cooks have higher variances.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Lit said:
    30 minutes after lighting the egg probably 30-35 degrees but the longer the cook the closer they get. This is based on a low and slow though higher temp cooks have higher variances.
    +1

This has been my experience as well.
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• plumbfir01
    Options
    So think about heat loss at the dome so far from the fire vs the closer grate. That may help you remember that the dome Is less then the grate
    Beaufort, SC
  • calracefan
    Options
    I think you will see a difference if you are indirect cooking versus direct. Indirect the dome temp will be higher than your grate for some time. Direct cooking the opposite may occur.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    so i think the point of the story is to buy a maverick and check your grill and you wont regret it
    Beaufort, SC
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    If direct, grate will typically be higher than dome due to distance from the fire. If indirect, dome is typically higher than grate as the heat flows up and around the stone/plate setter.  Although on long low and slows, the grate eventually comes pretty close to dome (at least for me). 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Just got my Maverick and have a question. If I use my AR, do I put the grate thermo on the highest part of the grill or further down closer to the felt line?
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If direct, grate will typically be higher than dome due to distance from the fire. If indirect, dome is typically higher than grate as the heat flows up and around the stone/plate setter.  Although on long low and slows, the grate eventually comes pretty close to dome (at least for me). 
    Perfect explanation. The grid temp is higher than dome for direct cooks, grid is lower than dome for indirect cooks. Strongly suggest you do not use your Maverick for direct cooks, Burning lump directly under the probe will give you wildly changing temps and you will, IMHO, shorten the probe life. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, and they all make sense. I do have a Maverick so I will have to do a comparison on different type cooks. And Dredger, I would put the grate therm closest to where your food will sit.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

Related, by general convention, when temperatures are mentioned, unless otherwise stated, the temp is referring to dome temp as that is the one thermo all BGEs have.  And since we all cook to finish temp or some other parameter such as "bend" or "feel", the cooking environment temp is a guide to how hot the BGE is.  This info will help with an eggstimate as to when the cook should arrive at the finish-line. 

I believe you can get too wrapped up with temperatures in the BGE as the internal environment has thermal gradients just like an oven.  Best to ensure your thermo(s) are calibrated and use that info to help manage the cook.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth.

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Thanks SmokinOutBack. That's what I thought. Just makes sense, but wanted to check with the eggsperts.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC