Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Yuzu Kosho Shrimp

I know nobody but me cares about Japanese cooking, but I really enjoyed this, so I want you to suffer through my post.  

Yuzu kosho is a paste that is a tad sweet and quite hot and spicy.  By marinating your shimp and scallops in a yuzu kosho mixture with garlic, soy sauce, and olive oil, your final shrimp will be very spicy.

I would have done a plated picture but when I picked up my Nikon D600, the strap caught on the kitchen drawer and it fell to the ground.  I went postal and into hysterics.  My wife and dogs were huddled in the corner in fear of my next move.  Luckily, all worked out and my camera is fine.  But, I didn't get a plated picture.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

·

Comments

• Looks and sounds awesome.  Care to share this mixture?
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • Sure.  

Marinade

2 tablespoons yuzu kosho paste
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 cloves garlic grated
    1/2 cup olive oil

Put shrimp on skewers and put in marinade.  Flip about 4 times to make sure you have the mixture on the shrimp.

Grill on hot Egg.  Flip after about a minute, then baste with reserved marinade.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,359
    Awesome! ^:)^

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • Ok so you purchase the paste.  I was thinking you made it.  I'm going to try this out this weekend.  I need to do more seafood.  Have you tried with scallops? 
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • Yep.  I cooked 4 scallops with the shrimp.  Also, excellent.  I didn't include them because they didn't get a great grill mark on them.  I think they might have been "wet" scallops.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,322
    Looks delicious as usual, and I for one am very interested in your Japanese cooks, nei?
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,808
    I would give anything to see you in that condition. I hope your things are fine but that would be too funny. Tanya usually gives me wide birth when that stuff happens to me. Not out of fear but to let the fire die out on its own.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Looks delicious as usual, and I for one am very interested in your Japanese cooks, nei?
    Doc,

Get the book, The Japanese Grill.  It's fantastic !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,785
    Love Japanese. Keep cooking it.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,322
    Looks delicious as usual, and I for one am very interested in your Japanese cooks, nei?
    Doc,

Just did.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,791
    Very nice! I know you have told me before, but where did you buy your yuzu kosho paste when you lived in Houston? I remember you had a specific Japanese grocer you used to go to, but can't remember the name or where it is.

And thanks for posting your recipes - gives me inspiration to try something new!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    Love these posts.  Your wok posts and Japanese stuff is a great read.  Very inspiring.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,300
    Nice cook.  Glad to hear the camera is fine!
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,252
    I'm disappointed you didn't make your own paste.... Epic fail.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,271
    Over and over. Cook after cook. I can be there in an hour.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • bearcatbearcat Posts: 38
    Sounds delicious. I bought a bottle of yuzu kosho last year. Delicious! Reminds me to get some more when I next venture to the big city.
    ·
  • caliking said:
    Very nice! I know you have told me before, but where did you buy your yuzu kosho paste when you lived in Houston? I remember you had a specific Japanese grocer you used to go to, but can't remember the name or where it is.

And thanks for posting your recipes - gives me inspiration to try something new!
    Daido.  Corner of Westheimer and Wilcrest.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • Very impressive cook.  I can beat Mickey by 45 minutes ;-)  Glad the camera survived to shoot another cook.  
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,013
    That looks great. I've been enjoying the book and slowly accumulating ingredients. Can't wait to try this one.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    I very much love Japenese food. Looks great VI.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,178
    I have that book VI. Shame on me, I have yet to use it. Now is the time!
    ·
  • I LOVE Japanese chow. Looks very tasty. I need to think about Friday night's cook. May have to seek this paste out...
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
    ·
  • Sounds delicious!  I need to find this stuff . . .  I doubt my sleepy beach town has it but maybe there is a store in Orlando?  Or should I just order it online?  I found THIS on Amazon. 

PS:  I adore Japanese everything. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Kristi,

That's green yuzu kosho.  I used red.  I don't know the difference, but the recipe I have called for red.  Here is an Amazon link to red.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • Thank you!  >:D<
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,522
    Doc,

I know that was not addressed to me, but liked the prelude and some, just bought the Kindle edition.

Thanks, VI

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • MrossMross Posts: 334
    Does the Kindle edition have a Table of contents that can click to specific recipes?

Duncan, SC
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,453
    Sounds delicious!  I need to find this stuff . . .  I doubt my sleepy beach town has it but maybe there is a store in Orlando?  Or should I just order it online?  I found THIS on Amazon. 

Kristi, today's Orlando Sentinel has a list of ethnic markets in the area. Might be of some help if you are ever up this way. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,114
    edited October 2013
    GrannyX4 said:
    Sounds delicious!  I need to find this stuff . . .  I doubt my sleepy beach town has it but maybe there is a store in Orlando?  Or should I just order it online?  I found THIS on Amazon. 

Kristi, today's Orlando Sentinel has a list of ethnic markets in the area. Might be of some help if you are ever up this way. ;;)
    Thank you, @GrannyX4 -- I'll pull it up now!  We have plans to be over there this weekend! :D 

UPDATE:  there is a Melbourne store on the list.  I'll check it out -- thanks again! 
    ·
  • pwg56pwg56 Posts: 92
    I must say this ingredient is really hard to find. I've been to multiple huge asian markets in NJ and have come up empty.  Trying a Japanese market in Manhattan today in hopes of finding it...
    ·