Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Yesterday's Turkey

After frying turkeys for the last 5 or 6 years I decided to do yesterday's Thanksgiving turkey on my LBGE. I used the Mad Max method as a guide, and, it turned out as good as any fried turkey I've ever done.

I started with a 20lb. bird and brined it overnight on Sunday. A couple of hours before I planned to put it on the egg I took the turkey out of the brine, rinsed and dried it and injected with a basic herb based injection. Following the Mad Max instructions I iced the breasts for about 1/2 an hour before putting the bird on the egg. As you can see from the first picture, I had a little trouble spreading the butter over the bird so most of it just ended up being clumped on top. The butter seemed to want to just slip over the skin rather than allow itself to be evenly spread.

I cooked at around 350* until the IT on the breast was at 160* and the thighs was 180*. The turkey rested under a foil tent for about 1/2 an hour before it was served. During that time I made my gravy; again, according to the Mad Max instructions (no gravy pics). The gravy (minus the giblets) was outstanding.

I know that spatchcock would have been an option but, Mrs. TOTN wanted a "traditional" looking turkey for presentation purposes.

All, in all, here is what I concluded in terms of frying vs. egging:

1. Frying is a lot faster and less labor intensive (not that there is that much labor involved either way)
2. Frying seems to be a little more accurate in terms of cooking temp/time. I saw roasting time estimates (mostly based on cooking at 325*) anywhere for 4- 4 1/2 hours up to 7 or 8 hours for a 20 lb. bird. I cooked at 350* to make sure mine was done in time.
3. Roasting provides wonderful drippings for making gravy; something that frying does not do.
4. I was able to do a larger bird on my egg as opposed to my fryer; which only accommodates up to a 14 lb. bird.
5. Juiciness and flavor are excellent both ways. I only had 3 or 4 small apple wood chunks in my fire so the bird was not heavy on the smoke flavor.

Here's the turkey ready to go on the egg:

The turkey on the egg. I had to take the dome thermometer out as the bird sat high up in the dome:

2 hours in. Could not figure out why the left side was darker than the right but I tented the whole bird with foil to prevent too much browing.

Ready to come off the egg:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments