Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to break in a new EGG HELP

Options
papasmurf2
papasmurf2 Posts: 10
edited October 2013 in EggHead Forum
Hi All

I just bought a LBGE and wanted to know how to break it in!! the dealer said not to go above 350 for the first few times to seal the gasket any suggestions on what to cook etc would be appreciated.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Chicken... I'd fire it up and just get it to 300, have a few drinks and throw some chicken on,..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy the ride.  Fire it up and play with temps. like get to 250 and hold for awhile. than take to different temps and hold for awhile. Just adjust and let it ride 15 to 30 mins. Let it settle and don't chase the temp.Try chicken, veggies anything you cook in the oven you can cook on the egg. Get your temp like oven and cook for how long u would inside. Grilling is like regular grilling just better.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Don't sweat it.  Grab a beverage and enjoy the ride.  You'll eventually decide to go with a Rutland gasket.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• papasmurf2
    Options
    That's good advice and i will definitely experiment. Thank You for your help and advice.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Just fun with it. A low and slow pork butt or ribs is good after you give chicken a try.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • HorseMover
    Options
    I'm new and learning everyday but I have found the key to obtaining the correct temp is in how you light the egg. One spot up front for a low and slow. Three/four spots for a hotter flame has worked great for me. First couple lights I got too hot and its hard to bring the egg temp down...up is no problem. Good luck and enjoy!'
    Albion, PA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Toss on meat and cook, it will be fine
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.