Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed regarding Sea Bass and a date that eats paleo

Options
Ok. I have a date with a girl who is big into crossfit and paleo. Not necessarily bad things, but I'm trying to keep that in mind as I prepare dinner for her. She said her favorite fish is sea bass and I have no experience with that fish yet, so she gets to be the guinea pig.

Does anyone have any tips for sea bass and what to pair it with that might impress this girl.

First time dating with the egg since the divorce and I'm ready to wow the pants right off her with my fine egging skills, but need a little direction first! 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• Seanr7
    Seanr7 Posts: 207
    Options
    A pinot Noir should pair great with the Sea Bass, Her favorite food and "liquid panty remover" should help "wow those pants right off"!
    XL BGE
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Haha. Thanks @Seanr7 I was thinking more of a vegetable pair, but the wine is a great suggestion. Should have some of that laying around somewhere.
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Seanr7
    Options

Fresh Green Beans always seem to go with Sean Bass, so does Resotto(SP?) but that is a **** to make right!

XL BGE
  • tamu2009
    Options
    I love Risotto, but doesn't really fit the whole not eat grains aspect of paleo
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    tamu2009 said:
    Ok. I have a date with a girl who is big into crossfit and paleo. Not necessarily bad things, but I'm trying to keep that in mind as I prepare dinner for her. She said her favorite fish is sea bass and I have no experience with that fish yet, so she gets to be the guinea pig.

Does anyone have any tips for sea bass and what to pair it with that might impress this girl.

First time dating with the egg since the divorce and I'm ready to wow the pants right off her with my fine egging skills, but need a little direction first! 
    Pictures or it didn't happen!

You could grill some asparagus. How are you planning to do the sea bass?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Try it en papillote> No muss fuss and nice presentation. If you use smaller fillets than this and stick some shrimp or a lobster tail in the bag it appears classy.

Browned some butter and put in a few anchovy fillets
    Smashed up the anchovies and put in some clam juice and chardonnay and reduced to a coat a spoon consistency.
    Sauteed some carrot slices in butter
    Added red bell pepper slices
    Some lemon and the vegetables with some onion and slivered garlic
    Put the sea bass in and topped with some of the butter sauce
    Then some fresh tarragon, parsley, thyme and chives
    Folded the parchment and oiled and on to the egg on a raised grid at 350*
    Served with some sauteed kale, onion, garlic and mushrooms in chicken broth and steamed rice with clam juice, chardonnay, red bell peppers and butter.

This was good!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options

Good Luck with the date! My go to for fish is EVOO and raging river seasoning, old bays is good to. Tonight I am doing Mahi-Mahi  coating the skinned fillets with Mayo and raging river. I am cooking it direct at 375/400 until awesome also doing some spaghetti squash and rice pilaf.

Sea Bass is Great.

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Im a  crossfit guy and paleo also, been at it for 6 years so i can help if you would like. 

For the fish, the guys above have it down pat in a couple ways but i personally would take it and sear it or blacken it. second, asparagus..... take stalk ends off and coat with evoo in gallon zip lock bag and add S/P and garlic powder (not a ton) and squeeze a half of lime into bag and mix all up and the evoo coats the asparagus and the seasonings stick to it. then leave in fridge for 2+ hrs if you can. cook on skillet  in evoo or coconut oil and cover with lid OR cook on grill at 300 until they are getting smaller and look cooked..pretty easy to tell but if not then pick on up by the middle and if they bend easily on their own..they are done... pull and serve with the fish. however IMO if shes paleo and hardcore cf then she wont care as long as its meat and veggies so if you dont want to mess up the fish, cook steaks with reverse sear and wow her ... just my .02
    Beaufort, SC
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    or Little stevens idea is great, just skip the butter and buy ghee from publix. its dairy free butter.. much sweeter... also consider a sweet potato cooked in oven for 1hr (until its oozing with sugar) and put ghee in it with ground cinnamon like its a loaded potato and ceran wrap for 15minutes and unwrap for amazement and pure paleo  with asparagus and fish or steak
    Beaufort, SC
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    +1 on the asparagus. I grill it a lot, it only takes about 3 minutes on direct heat to be done. More than that and you risk it getting mushy. Also is worth finding out if she is strictly paleo or leans toward primal at all. It's the difference between being able to cook with grassfed butter or not.
    Pentwater, MI
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    ghee is easy but unless this chick is nuts about cf and gone off the deep end which some have....then she will be ok with the butter (espicailly if she doesnt know)  just dont mention it.. i think you cant go wrong with little stevens idea with a ghee butter and its great presentation...im pretty wowed looking at it. 
    Beaufort, SC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    When is your date? If you are so inclined, a practice cook may not be a bad idea if you are making something you are unfamiliar with. 

Also, be careful with ghee - not everyone is a fan necessarily. I'm not sure that it counts as dairy-free either (strictly speaking, since it is made from butter) in case your date is very particular about that sort of thing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited October 2013
    Options

No pictures but the best Sea Bass I have done is with roasted tomatoes, peppers, onions and is seasoned with Italian herbs, salt and pepper and the fish is baked in that mixture.  Could do all that on the egg and boost it up with a hint of the smokey flavour. 

I would go for a fast cook so there isn't tons of smoke and leaves more time for talking about her... not how amazing the egg is.  Of course if she isn't into egged food she isn't a keeper so use your own judgement.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Mburrow1970
    Options
    Southwestern Style Grilled Chilian Sea Bass Ingredients 2 (4 oz.) Chilean Sea Bass steaks Spice Rub 1/4 teaspoon minced onions 1/4 teaspoon onion powder 1/4 teaspoon chili powder 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 1/8 teaspoon lemon pepper 1/8 teaspoon cumin 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika Make a Pizza Bake for Game Day Preparation Mix all the spice rub ingredients together and remove the sea bass steaks from the refrigerator 45 minutes before you plan to put them on the grill. Cover all surfaces of the steaks with a light to medium covering of the spice rub and gently rub into the sea bass steaks. Let this rest in a container outside of the refrigerator to allow it to reach room temperature before putting it on the grill. Get your grill going and achieve a medium hot grill. Place the sea bass steaks directly on the grill and cook for approximately 10 to 12 minutes per side. You only need to flip it once on the grill. If you are unsure of whether it is fully cooked or not, you can test it with a digital meat thermometer at the center of the thickest part of the filet. You only need to check one, this way you will only have one losing some of that delicious juice inside the filet. The temperature should read approximately 135° F.
    Nashville, Tennessee
  • tamu2009
    Options
    I think shes pretty intense cf, but not quite as intense with the paleo. my aunt had her over to introduce us and she ate everything we had and none of it was really paleo, so I think she does it more when its herself, and not crazy into it.

Haven't gotten it scheduled yet, hoping this weekend. Went and got some last night. Seared it on the stove and then put it in the oven at 450* for about 15 minutes (pouring down rain and the egg wasnt getting used). I think I undercooked it as it was a little tough still. Made a mushroom and leak white wine sauce to pour over it, but it was a little over reduced. 

I think it was a good first run, but I think I might just try grilling it and doing asparagus and zucchini on the egg with it. 
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Yeah asparagus and zuchinni are no brainers and easy work. 

I think she will see that you are trying and thats really all that should matter. I eat as much quality as I can but i have a cheat meal or 2 every week. It sounds like she is in line with many others and is REALISTIC about nutrition and thats all you can hope. 

Beaufort, SC
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options

Have you thought of Cedar plank cooking the Sea Bass in the BGE. I've done salmon and tilapia with just a salt and pepper seasoned to task. The plank combined with some hickory smoke is a popular cook at my house.

Asparagus on the egg is a great suggestion. I’ve also thick sliced sweet onions and grilled them to caramelize the sugar.

You might not have time but a diced sweet potatoes on the egg for about an hour comes out nice and is surprising with the smoke flavor. (Sweet potatoes is Paleo approved according to my Paleo eating son.)

Remember to sell yourself as most of what comes off the egg is Paleo approved  which is why us BGE cooks are such a catch. Good luck

• Seanr7
    Options
    Avoid most, if not all, wine with Aspragus, they don't go at all
    XL BGE
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Seanr7 said:
    Avoid most, if not all, wine with Aspragus, they don't go at all
    And citrus juice. It will turn it a very unappetizing color. Instead I recommend citrus flavored oil or zest.

Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

@tamu2009 so how'd did it go?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE