Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello to all and showing off my new Egg!!

Options
Hey there guys and gals, just wanted to say "hello" to everyone since this is my first post as a new member here. I really got into the BBQ thing heavily this summer and decided that, after using a side-smoker for a while with good results that I should take the plunge and join the ranks of Eggheads. So, after stashing away every extra penny here and there and selling a few things I didn't need, I finally bought my Large Egg two weeks back. I decided to make myself a table for the egg on my own with a hybrid between a lot of different plans online. The result is below. I'm happy with how it turned out. Now to add a bottle opener and a few hooks to hang my cooking utensils! So far I've only been able to fire it up twice, once for a quick pizza and then, last night, did some BBQ pork loin which turned out very very well. Still learning how to get the long slow cook (mine wanted to hover around 300 instead of 225ish) but I'm confident I'll figure it out with more practice. Looking forward to a lot of good cooking with the egg over the winter (something I've not said before about cooking outside!).

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Good looking table and Welcome!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options

That's a great table - and welcome aboard. 

Yes, I'm sure you'll get the hang of going lower - while simultaneously learning not to sweat it too much if you don't hit your target temp exactly.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle! That's a nice looking table.

You're not the only one that has/had trouble hitting and holding 225*. As @Foghorn said, don't get too hung up on exact temps.The main thing is to not get into chase mode. If your temp settles in 15-25* above where you want it it's (usually) not that big a deal.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    nice table you did a great job enjoy your new egg as far a temp controll relax if it's 10m to 25 over no big deal the important thing is that you have a good time EGGING as long as your enjoying everything will fall into place ,if your hell bent on exact temp them go out and buy yourself a BBQ Guru Digi Q DX2 that will keep yor temp at what you set it at 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome! That set-up looks great! Nice job!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Good looking setup... welcome!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Nice set-up.  Welcome aboard.  Degree of Kool-Aid consumption a matter of personal choice.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Looks like ur off to a good start...good looking set-up. And welcome.

Opelika, Alabama
  • MagnoliaBBQ
    Options
    Nice table!  It does not take too long to learn how to control temperature on the egg.  Here are some tips I have found helpful for low temperatures.  Start out with a small fire.  I use a propane torch (MAP gas torch, actually) to light the top of the wood lump for about 5-10 seconds until I see a red glow (or at least hear the popping of the lit lump).  Initially, leave about a quarter inch opening on the bottom vent; and on top, open the daisy wheel so that about 1/4 to 1/3 of each daisy wheel hole is open.  With those settings, the egg should stabilize in the low 200 range.  Just remember that egg temperature control has a "momentum" analogous to steering a large ship--it may take a while for the temperature to respond to slight changes in the venting, but the changes will occur.  It is this resistance to change that makes the egg easy to "set it and forget it" so to speak.  When you get the hang of it, after starting a small fire, you can open up the egg's vents full throtlle initially and watch the dome gauge ramp up near your desired temperature (or even past your desired temperature) before restricting the vents to bring the temperature under control.  This pullback is possible because it takes a while for the ceramic to initially heat up and catch up with the dome temperature gauge.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Great set up! Welcome aboard and enjoy.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • hophog87
    Options
    Thanks for all the nice comments on the table.  I certainly am enjoying the set up.  two cooks in the past two nights and one already planned tonight.  

I'm only adding these because, I know when I was planning how to build my table, looking at other's progress throughout the build helped me better think about how I could construct mine.  I'm definitely not posting them because I claim to be a carpenter of any degree...I'm definitely not.  However, I think it turned out pretty well and it works with plenty of room for a beer....errr...I mean plenty of table space left over to prepare the food.  Overall cost was just around 180 bucks and everything purchased from Lowes.    
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Nice job on the table.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo! Nice looking table, you are a carpenter/furniture maker - looks like Minwax finish. Great job, have some company over show off your skills and the egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wonderful setup and your table turned out great! Crack some beers open and keep cookin'.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Table looks great!!! Welcome to the cult.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • ambrodsky
    Options
    Looking good!  Get ready to keep trying new things!