Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Our Weekend Cooks

I posted a few of these "live" during the weekend, but not everything, so I thought I'd do one wrap up.

Got a late start Friday night as we had to do a last minute shopping trip top get ready for the festivities on Saturday. Got the Egg going at 400Fish and tossed on a CI pan with some 'kraut and home made cheddar wurst. Sorry for the bad pic.

Slowly brought them up to temp and as they were nearing done, took them out of the pan and directly on the grate along with some home made Texas hot links.

Done. Of course I had to serve them up with some tots. It had been over a week and I was starting to go through withdrawls. ;)

I had really wanted to do a Naked Ham ala @Mickey style on Saturday. But Mrs. G had other ideas. She wanted an HEB spiral sliced ham (picked up at Centeral Market). What she wants, she gets.

Got the Egg stabilized at 300F with some hickory chips and a few small cherry chunks and tossed the Ham on around kickoff time for the Texas O-Who game (11:00am)

Pulled it off around 1:30ish-2. About 3 hours once it had hit 145 in most places.

Still had to make some cornbread (with some Hatch chilies) and Mrs. G's black eyed peas weren't ready, so the ham got the FTC treatment. I figured it works for brisket and butts, why not a ham? Cornbread went on after I brought the Egg temp up a bit.

Things got a bit hectic after that. Mrs. G decided she didn't want the glaze after all, I don't know why. Never did get any pictures of anything after the cornbread. Everybody had a great time and we have way too many leftovers, but nothing wrong with that. Gotta love some leftover ham sammiches the next day. I did get one final shot after the crowd had thinned out and I had a chance to sit down and finish up the A&M game with a cold beverage in my new to me Baylor Mug. Sic 'em Bears!image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• That ham looks delicious, Grif.   =D>

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Love the wurst  Looks great

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• That looks awesome. Great cook and big wins for the Texas teams.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Looks great Griff.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I love you man..... ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Spectacular

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• BU_BBQ
    BU_BBQ Posts: 15
    All look fantastic and, Sic Em!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    BU_BBQ said:

Thank you, Sir. What did you think of the game? I didn't expect it to be that close, but a win is a win and now we are ranked 12. Ahead of all the other Big XII schools. :D

Rowlett, Texas

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Everything looks good! I love smoking a ham - tastes good the first time and then the left over ham is awesome in sandwiches, eggs, you name it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BU_BBQ
    BU_BBQ Posts: 15
    Griffin said:
    BU_BBQ said:

Thank you, Sir. What did you think of the game? I didn't expect it to be that close, but a win is a win and now we are ranked 12. Ahead of all the other Big XII schools. :D
    I knew it was going to be tough just because we play horribly on the road, but I'm very happy with the win. It's great to know that we did not play all that well on offense and still scored 35pts. Hopefully we'll keep it rolling next week.
  • Outstanding. =D>
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Looks great Griff. I'd like to make some Texas hot links... do you mind posting the recipe?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Texas Hot Links(you may need to cut back on the heat, really spicy, I will next time)

From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ Guru

1 (6 pound) pork butt
    1 bottle beer
    2 tablespoons black pepper, coarsely ground
    2 tablespoons red pepper, crushed
    2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons paprika
    3 tablespoons kosher (coarse) salt
    2 tablespoons mustard seed
    1/4 cup garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon MSG (optional)
    1 teaspoon Tender Quick
    1 teaspoon bay leaves , ground
    1 teaspoon coriander
    1 teaspoon thyme, dried

Mix all spices with beer.
    Grind pork for sausage.
    Mix beer/spices thoroughly into the meat.
    Form into sausage links and grill or smoke.

How I did it is on my blog, but I would suggest start smoking at 130F with no smoke for one hour, add wood and raise 10 degrees each hour until you hit 160. Then keep it steady at 160 until your sausage reaches 155. Then place in ice water to stop the cooking. You can increase the temps faster if you don't have as much time, but slower is better.

Rowlett, Texas

• Thanks. Once smoked, how well/long does this sausage do frozen?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Freezes well. I didn't notice a difference.

Rowlett, Texas

• Looks great! I especially liked your mug!
    Houston, TX