Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on New Large egg I may sell

I have a brand new large for sale,  question I have is, what price should I sell it for ?    we have not cooked on it and if we did how much of the value goes down?  We have another small   were keeping ,  its the egg shell, firebox, fire ring, lump grate, screened vent new band , snuffer, daisy wheel, &  plate setter.  all pieces are new and white :)  

Comments

• Are you going to put it on Craigslist?  I would probably knock a couple hundred dollars off the price of a new one for incentive.  Not sure if there would still be a warranty on it since you aren't a authorized dealer... perhaps it would transfer maybe??

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• I think if you cooked on it once you would change your mind about selling.Where are you located?

If you have the reciept I imagine the warranty would be good if you gave it to the buyer..I wouldn't knock too much off.Check in your area for dealers and ask how much they sell their lge eggs during eggfests ( demo price)

:)
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited October 2013
    I would say that if there's no warranty then there's not really going to be much price drop if you cooked on it or didn't cook on it. If I were buying an egg from someone I personally wouldn't care if they cooked 100x or 0x. I'm not getting the warranty so whether nor not it was used doesn't make a difference. Now if I were buying a toilet on craigslist I'd care if it were used or not.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Talk to your dealer. They sometimes will honor the warranty if it is unused/unregistered and a recent sale(my experience with some craigslist posts and a dealer I bought my mini from). If that is the case, you can probably get away with selling it for about full price. If no warranty, 500-600 if the buyer knows what they are getting. You could list it for $750 and see what happens. If you can include the warranty guarantee from the dealer, you can stay pretty firm to your price.

$750 seems to be the current demo price based on the 4 or 5 eggfest sites I have visited.
  • More importantly where are you located? :D
    Beaufort, SC
  • Bushgator
    Bushgator Posts: 112
    Were north of Tampa in Hernando county. I have had a couple of eggs the last 10 years  I still have a small that we use. but The Primo  pretty oval looks enticing and want to purchase one or trade outright for it.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Just wondering ... Why the primo? Does the oval matter?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Bushgator
    edited October 2013

the width and being oval , the only thing that does not stand out is the  only 20 year warranty  not to mention that it has a way to devide the fire box so you don't have to use  it all just to do 1 or 2 steaks

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited October 2013
    Just find the best deal retail from the various dealers in your area, then put it on CL for $100-$200 less.  Not sure about your location, but here that would be in the $500-$600 range. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    You should sell it for about $250 if you are in the metro Atlanta area.  Let me know where you are and we can work out the pick up :P. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    On a serious note...if you have a small already you are keeping, then any advantage of the split fire box on the oval primo is sort of null and void.  You stand to loose a couple of hundred dollars in the deal.  I would take that $ and go by and adjustable rig for your large and enjoy it for 20-30 years. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Find a Primo dealer that also carries BGE, look at a trade in option.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• henapple
    Bushgator said:

the width and being oval , the only thing that does not stand out is the&I nbsp; only 20 year warranty  not to mention that it has a way to devide the fire box so you don't have to use  it all just to do 1 or 2 steaks

You've got a small for that.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @Bushgator - Which Primo Oval, the Jr, 300 or XL? The 300 series is a bit bigger than the LBGE and the XL is quite a bit bigger than the XLBGE. When I bought my egg the local Primo dealers were only offering a 5 year warranty. That has changed. Great cooker. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bushgator

yes..... we have a small but you cant cook indirect and direct at the same time as an oval primo on a small ,or a large for that fact.   Its the large 300  Im looking at.  I know someone who has the extra large . 

The dementions are really just a half inch difference between the large 30 and the xl primo. I asked the dealer about that today and they could not really explain except they think theres a plan to do away with one or the other  and if they do that  I want to make sure Im getting the one they plan on keeping around so there are parts I will be able to get.  

If you're already a little familiar with ceramic grills, most of them are usually round and 18 to 24 inches in diameter. The Oval XL grilling space is 25" x 18" and the Large is 24.5" x 18.5", which means there is more room for racks of ribs, brisket, and all sorts of other BBQ. These innovative kamados are also built using premium ceramics and protected by a scratch-resistant glaze

• ill give you 450 without the warranty... im outside of savannah ga.  does it have a nest? also you say " screened vent new band" was there an old one?
    Beaufort, SC
  • henapple
    I have a half stone... Direct and indirect. I saw a thread where some egger cooked like 12 racks on a large. Do what you want...
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I say buy an adjustable rig. You can do 6 full racks flat with no problems and more if you want to cram it. You can't do 6 full rack flat on the primo.
  • I almost pulled the trigger on the Primo oval but decided on the XL egg because of the amount of accessories in comparison to the primo. Also, the egg dealer is 5 minutes away. The primo dealer is 1 hour away. I did like the fact that the primo is 100% made in the USA. Both are great cookers and you'll be happy with either one. I also liked the hinge setup on the egg better than the primo. It took some umph to get the dome open on the primo. Not a lot, but I considered my wife lifting the lid.

One thing to consider, I bought the angle L brackets for my XL from the ceramic grill store and can divide my firebox. I just did it tonight.
    Mark Annville, PA