Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chuck Roast Burnt Ends OMG

RACRAC Posts: 1,436

These things were fantastic. Only took one picture due to not knowing how they would turn out. Will do again for sure!

Ricky

Spring, TX

·

Comments

• smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 259

Looks real good. I have to try that.

What was your method?  never did any kind of burn end.

Thanks.

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,950
    smokeyj said:

Looks real good. I have to try that.

What was your method?  never did any kind of burn end.

Thanks.

+1. I would like to slice the point when I make brisket, but SWMBO loves burnt ends. If I make the burnt ends out of chuck roast, everybody wins!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • daffy1909daffy1909 Posts: 454
    Thats a lot of burnt ends, how c
    big was the roast.?..  I love burnt ends!
    ·
  • RaymontRaymont Posts: 317
    Hmm.. I had a friend try it with poor results. Said they're wasn't as much fat content in a roast as the point of a brisket.  Maybe I need to try for myself. Did you cube before cook or after. How long did you cook?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

·
  • Not to hijack @Rac 's thread, but I did these recently as well with some pretty good results.  I put two 4-5 lbs roasts on (in hindsight WAYYY too much meat for just two people) indirect at 250dF until the roasts read 165df IT.  At that point, I pulled and foiled until 195dF IT.  Then I cubed each, transferred to two drip pans and sauced them, then put back on the smoker at around 300-350dF for about two more hours.

Pretty good stuff and I ate a lot of it cold/reheated.  Hickory was used for smoke.

2014 Texas Aggies - Here's to hoping....

in Houston, TX

·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,436

This was only 1 chuck about 4 lbs. Only me and my wife.

I used Bad Byron’s butt rub.

Rubbed and put in refrigerator for a few hours

Cooked indirect @ 250-260 grid temp till about 160-165 (about 3 hours)

Pulled and foiled and back on till 190-195 (about another hour)

Cubed (about 1 inch pieces) put in pan then added a little more rub and BBQ sauce

Back on uncovered for about an hour

Mixed everything up and started bringing temp up. I cooked for about another hour and ended up with a temp about 375

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 259

Thanks for the info guys. Will be trying these this weekend.

·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 510
    Added to my list!
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·