Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brats: which one?

AviatorAviator Posts: 1,429

Inspired by the other thread that addresses the methodology, I would love to have a discussion about the tastiest brats out there and what has been your experiences.

I get some from Costco that I love, I forget the brand.

Love beer brats.

______________________________________________ 

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

 

Comments

  • henapplehenapple Posts: 10,203
    My butcher makes custom sausages... Pretty good. Next time you stop in I'll pick some up. When are you on duty again?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 5,027
    I used to like Usinger's when I lived in Chicago. Natural casing is key.

    #1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple said:
    My butcher makes custom sausages... Pretty good. Next time you stop in I'll pick some up. When are you on duty again?
    Is that butcher in M'boro or Nashville?  Who is it?
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,290
    Heh, that thread got me so hungry for brats I went to the store and got some, just finished a couple.  They were Johnsonville Stadium Brats; they were okay.
    When I went to college at South Dakota State one of my friends always brought back some brats from Wisconsin every time he went home.  No idea what the brand was, but I've been spoiled ever since.  
    _____________________________________________
     
    I Know Why The Egged Bird Sings.
     
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 10,203


    henapple said:

    My butcher makes custom sausages... Pretty good. Next time you stop in I'll pick some up. When are you on duty again?

    Is that butcher in M'boro or Nashville?  Who is it?

    Murfreesboro... Tagz off Memorial Blvd. Call ahead...Mike is a good guy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,021
    All we get around here are Johnsonville or store brand. Best I've ever had were in Germany. Still trying to perfect them, but getting closer from what I remember.

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

     

  • NPHuskerFLNPHuskerFL Posts: 3,157
    Get mine from butcher fresh.Much better than anything I buy off the shelf. But, in a pinch I'll use Johnsonville.
    LBGE, SS Table and Stoker
    Die Hard HUSKER and BRONCO FAN
    Middleburg, FL
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,162
    As far as what can be ordered online, I've had many sausages, brats included from Stiglmeier.

    Talking up some folks in the area, I favor the pork and veal brats from Driers. Almost a delicacy except that its hard not to wolf them down.

    And just down the road, a fellow who makes outstanding sausages, tho' his brats are not quite as good as Driers, IMO.

    Unfortunately, Drier's doesn't ship their sausages. I don't know that Mullins at the Local does either, but maybe. My good fortune to live nearby.
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,429
    henapple said:
    My butcher makes custom sausages... Pretty good. Next time you stop in I'll pick some up. When are you on duty again?

    Dont know yet, with the Guvmmint shut down...

    ______________________________________________ 

    Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

    And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

    >:)

    Chattanooga, TN.

     

  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,429

    Gdenby, where abouts do you live?

    I have a butcher - Don's Meat shop here closeby. Have to check his offerings.

     

    gdenby said:
    As far as what can be ordered online, I've had many sausages, brats included from Stiglmeier.

    Talking up some folks in the area, I favor the pork and veal brats from Driers. Almost a delicacy except that its hard not to wolf them down.

    And just down the road, a fellow who makes outstanding sausages, tho' his brats are not quite as good as Driers, IMO.

    Unfortunately, Drier's doesn't ship their sausages. I don't know that Mullins at the Local does either, but maybe. My good fortune to live nearby.

    ______________________________________________ 

    Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

    And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

    >:)

    Chattanooga, TN.

     

  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,162
    Aviator said:

    Gdenby, where abouts do you live?

    I have a butcher - Don's Meat shop here closeby. Have to check his offerings.

     

    gdenby said:
    As far as what can be ordered online, I've had many sausages, brats included from Stiglmeier.


    North central Indiana, an area often called Michiana. About an hour and a half from Chi, where there are places like Paulina Market that usually has 45 different kinds of sausages on hand. Or Gene's Deli that has three old guys, all named Stanley, that have over 130 years of sausage making experience between them.

    The nearby places I mentioned are well above average in all their offerings. There are several other places that make one or two types of sausage very well. I've enjoyed going on "sausage safaris," to see what is out there. Most of its mediocre, but every now and then a winner shows up.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,461
    edited October 2013

    I've had brats from the German towns around South Texas (New Brauanfels, Fredericksburg, etc) and I've had brats in Germany.  For my money there is no better brat than a Johnsonville Original.  Johnsonville's Stadium Brats and Beer Brats aren't that great.  Some of the local brats are very good, but there is something about the Johnsonville Original that is even better in my opinion (yes, I know what that is worth).

    At one point my local HEB didn't carry the Originals, but had about 6 other Johnsonville offerings (Beer Brats, Jalapeno Cheese Brats, Stadium Brats, etc).  I explained to them that is the equivalent of having Diet Coke, and Vanilla Coke, and Cherry Coke, and Coke Zero but not having Coke.  They now have the Originals and I make a point to buy them frequently.

    XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

    San Antonio, TX

  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,219
    i've been Jonesin' for a good brat lately........

    image
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
  • If you live in Chattanooga (I do 4 days a week) try Link Forty One, they source all their meats from local farms and different breeds of pigs. They are at 217 E Main No 105, Chatt. TN 37428. Tel 423 602 9569. They make all kind of sausages. Their web-site's out at the moment so give 'em a call.

    Tony in Brentwood, TN.

    Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

    "I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,672
    tjv said:
    i've been Jonesin' for a good brat lately........

    image
    Nicely cooked!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,429
    If you live in Chattanooga (I do 4 days a week) try Link Forty One, they source all their meats from local farms and different breeds of pigs. They are at 217 E Main No 105, Chatt. TN 37428. Tel 423 602 9569. They make all kind of sausages. Their web-site's out at the moment so give 'em a call.

    Thank you. Will make a trip there

    ______________________________________________ 

    Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

    And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

    >:)

    Chattanooga, TN.

     

  • Foghorn said:

    I've had brats from the German towns around South Texas (New Brauanfels, Fredericksburg, etc) and I've had brats in Germany.  For my money there is no better brat than a Johnsonville Original.  Johnsonville's Stadium Brats and Beer Brats aren't that great.  Some of the local brats are very good, but there is something about the Johnsonville Original that is even better in my opinion (yes, I know what that is worth).

    At one point my local HEB didn't carry the Originals, but had about 6 other Johnsonville offerings (Beer Brats, Jalapeno Cheese Brats, Stadium Brats, etc).  I explained to them that is the equivalent of having Diet Coke, and Vanilla Coke, and Cherry Coke, and Coke Zero but not having Coke.  They now have the Originals and I make a point to buy them frequently.


    +1 image
    image.jpg
    1296 x 968 - 530K
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • My favorite are the Boars Head Brats.  I know that might be off the radar but they are delicious in my book.  Hard to beat!

    LRG BGE

    Columbia, SC

  • I'm personally not too crazy about the way Johnsonville spices their brats.  Just a personal flavor thing.  I do like the way Hillshire Farms seasons theirs.  In onions and beer of course.
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
  • It's not a brat, unless it's from the Sheboygan area. Johnsonville originals are some of the best.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,429
    edited November 2013
    If you live in Chattanooga (I do 4 days a week) try Link Forty One, they source all their meats from local farms and different breeds of pigs. They are at 217 E Main No 105, Chatt. TN 37428. Tel 423 602 9569. They make all kind of sausages. Their web-site's out at the moment so give 'em a call.
    Thanks, Am going there today. Also, they have changed their name to Main Street Meats, mainstreetmeatschatt.com

    ______________________________________________ 

    Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

    And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

    >:)

    Chattanooga, TN.

     

Sign In or Register to comment.