Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chili no beans...beans no chili

Options
im so confused, is it wrong that they're touching. made up about 8 quarts this weekend

made some overnight candied pickled peppers too

even tried the buttered sgetti thing

heres the real question, what is the ideal pepper for a texan chili, really no clue and the types  of fresh peppers are limited up here to pretty much jalepenoes, habs, thai, and poblanonos.   this batch was dried ancho passilla. newmexico, guajillo and thai with fresh jalepenos, powdered cayenne and powdered chilli, but what is the main chili pepper used in texas

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Options
    How do you make canoed overnight peppers? Looks interesting.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    i just took 50/50 cider vinegar and water, got it boiling and dumped in alot of sugar, added the peppers and hard simmer for about 20 minutes, let it cool, added a bit more vinegar to taste and into the fridge overnight. sweet but hot
    Tackman said:
    How do you make canoed overnight peppers? Looks interesting.

fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Wait, is that ketchup touching the chili!!! What is the world coming to?

I'm pretty fortunate that there are a few Mexican markets in the area now, and there are lots of different chiles. But prior to that, I ordered from Pendery's, out of Fort Worth. Really good chilis, and a selection of blends used by Terlingua winners, where, btw, beans are never in the bowl.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    gdenby said:

Not to mention serving it on a plate.  :(
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Even with a limited supply of peppers - it all looks great to me, except for the plate thing, chilli always in a bowl - with or without beans....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    gdenby said:

Not to mention serving it on a plate.  :(
    thats good to know
    :)) i was tempted to make a traditional newengland bean sandwich with the chili
    :D still, whats the standout chili that goes in a bowl of red, there must be some preference.  i probably ate 2 quarts right from the pot skipping the bowl, plate bread all together, is that wrong too. most of those chilis seem so light in flavor i was eating them like dried spicey raisin jerky while scooping the chili from the pot
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Eating directly from the pot is expected; that's how you keep pace with the flavors!

As for which chili to use... that's mainly up to what your looking for "heat" wise but any of the south western type peppers should work.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    gdenby said:

I'm pretty fortunate that there are a few Mexican markets in the area now, and there are lots of different chiles. But prior to that, I ordered from Pendery's, out of Fort Worth. Really good chilis, and a selection of blends used by Terlingua winners, where, btw, beans are never in the bowl.
    you got me on the ketchup.....maybe i shouldnt mention the fish sauce.....
    fukahwee maine

• Tailwind
    Options
    Looks tasty.  Its getting to be chili season around here.   Can't wait to make a batch!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    At least you were sober enough to put all the ingredients in...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't know what is used in Texas, but I find that the little tiny piquin peppers add great zing. There's a couple called piquin, but what I'm talking about is around the size of a small bean. I understand they have good flavor, but I've never been able to get enough into my mouth w/o blisters.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    For myself, I always start with my home-grown cayennes...............................I like the heat as well as the flavor. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    PS, always beans (sorry , @Mickey)!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

fishlessman please send me your address

mjrawls at me.com

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I love beans and I love Chili makes sense that they go together.

Johns Creek, Georgia