Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib on the egg, any suggestions

Options
SWMBO has a 3 pound prime rib and she wants to do in the oven, I asked her why we couldn't do it on the egg. "Cause there won't be any gravy" was her response. I am a HUGE fan of gravy. Question to all you gurus out there. Could I do this on the egg, say indirect with some kind of catch tray, AF or other wise. What if I went indirect and used the 3 ceramic feet as a air gap between the PS and the AF tray, I am thinking that would catch the drippings without burning them.  What says the wizards out there.
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ive cooked a couple on the egg but I didnt attempt to catch the drippings. I just cooked them low temp indirect bout 275 til internal temp 110 or 115. Then I pulled them and rested under foil tent and pulled platesetter and opened up vents. Let it get blazing hot and direct seared all four sides. Both came out beautiful and after a ten minute rest there was still juice everywhere.

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    No wizard here but your plan will do just fine in catching the drippings w/o burning them.  Great eats await-enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Thanks you two. Appreciate the input. Love,Love gravy so have to plan for it
    @lousubcap 3325 posts in certainly more wizard than me. 
    :D;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Cook the prime rib indirect, on a rack or bone side down unless its boneless, in a roasting pan or disposable aluminum tray to catch the drippings.

I did a 4lb. one a few weeks ago using the same method as @Biggreenpharmacist

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

This doesn't answer your question about the gravy from your prime rib juice, but it answers everything else.

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/prime_rib_roast.html

As for catching the juices, if you put a drip pan on your platesetter and raise it off the platesetter slightly it will catch the juices and not burn them.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Options
    http://firecooker.com/recipes/entry/christmas-prime-rib/

Like Foghorn said, put a drip pan underneath.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Options
    If you have some beef stock, the low salt kind in a carton, you can just reduce that and thicken it at the end. You don't get a lot of grease or drippings if you cook at low temps. Use the reduced stock and some wine to deglaze the drip pan. You need some fat for the stock to thicken.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It took a minute to find it...

Dave in Florida said:
    I have used this one several times and like it.

2 cups beef stock, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbl worchestire, 1 tbl good bbq rub, 1 stick butter. Simmer 30 min. Inject when cooled. Simple, easy and good.

Good chit...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options

I did a prime rib for Christmas last year, and did it indirect.  I used a cheapo aluminum drip pan, and balled up three pieces of aluminum foil to put under it.  Raising it up off the PS is key.

I used beef stock mixed with drippings for the gravy/au jus. I went indirect until I hit an IT of 120, then removed the PS, got the Egg up to approximately 550 and seared the outside. 

If I had the chance to do it again, I wouldn't have reverse seared.  The roast still had a lot of fat on it, and going direct at that temp caused a TON of smoke, to the point where my next door neighbor became concerned that something was wrong. 

The high heat finish brought the temp up to about 130-135, which is right what I was aiming for, but I wished I'd have cooked it less.  It was still delicious, but I think the guests expected a little more red when eating prime rib.  Next time I'll just go indirect the whole time and pull it at 120-125. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Thank you all. Will be attempting this soon.  Will post the outcome. Cheers.

Large, small, and a mini