Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why not a rope gasket?

I bought some Rutland flat 5/8 material from ebay and it seems way too thin. It looks no thicker than one piece of the felt gasket. Why wouldn't the rope stuff work? Seems it could could be put on the bottom and it would flatten out and seal it up.

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    From what I saw years ago when I did a Rutland the rope is too thick and breaks down due to wear and tear from closing the lid. I gave up on the Rutland. I installed a nomex old white gasket with super 77 on my large and a Rutland with permatex on my small and the nomex is still there and the Rutland peeled off probably 2 years ago. Just my experience the permatex doesn't last as long as the Rutland.
  • So you think the nomex is the way to go? Where did you get it?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited October 2013
    The 5/8" Rutland is the only Rutland product I have sold now for 931 eggs in 41 states and 9 foreign countries as a NON profit service to eggers during the last 11 years. While the 5/8" seems thin as is but  when it is "bunched back into itself" per my detailed instructions it becomes both wider and thicker so it only needs to be applied to the base only. The reason I would never use the Rutland rope is that as a "tube" product then only one side gets imbeded in the Permatex Ultra Copper so that means the top side moves around and can break down from that wear and tear. I have one Rutland that is now 9 years old on a BGE that is used regularly at HIGH heat and still looks like it was just put on yesterday! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    So you think the nomex is the way to go? 
    No.  What the godfather of gaskets (RRP) said above.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• RRP
    edited October 2013
    So you think the nomex is the way to go? 
    LOL...but thanks anyway! What I forgot to mention is whether I sell somebody 0 gaskets, 1 gasket, 10 gaskets or 100 Rutland gaskets my profit is the very same...ZERO! It's just a service I like providing and seem to have many satisfied buyers in my past.

• RRP feel like sending one of those Rutland gaskets up to canada?
    Toronto,  Ontario,  Large, Large, Mini Max
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Nakedwhiz has pictures of how to bunch it up.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,358
    I am in Canada and RP took care of me. Love the Rutland!
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053

So you think the nomex is the way to go? Where did you get it?

I am just sharing my experience. It wasn't the Rutland that failed on mine it was the permatex that failed and the Rutland started peeling off. If I remember correctly the permatex lasted like 2 years before it started peeling. I don't go over 550 for pizzas so the nomex lasts forever since it won't fry till 700 or so.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I've had my nomex a couple years, and it's endured some nasty high heat when I strip cast iron cookware. When this gasket fails I think that'll be the end of me using gaskets, but who knows.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    RRP feel like sending one of those Rutland gaskets up to canada?
    I'm sure @RRP will look after you, he's just that kinda guy. Depending on where you live, many wood stove stores stock gasket kits, Rutland and other impregnated fibreglass manufacturers. They all sell adhesive, just make sure you heed RRP's advice on installation and suggested adhesive. My local store stocks an 80" long 5/8" wide kit for <$10. 
    Like @yzzi I have a Nomex from High-Q on my egg, expect another year or two out of it. 
    @WildmanWilson Don't think a rope gasket will work too well on an egg. My Regency wood stove insert has a rope gasket and it works very well, but is has a groove for the rope to sit in. When the door is closed the cam action of the handle flattens the rope against the frame. The egg dome would not be heavy enough to compress a rope gasket IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

The two halves of the Egg fit together very well, you hardly need a gasket.  So a thin flat tape gasket on one half does the trick.

Rope style gasket are for something that isn't true or warps.  I have on my metal wood-stove door.

• RRP
    RRP feel like sending one of those Rutland gaskets up to canada?
    I ship to Canada plus 8 other foreign countries so far as well. BTW you have a PM.

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    +1 for RRP's kit.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.