Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket failure? HELP!!!!

jhill
jhill Posts: 2
I put a 6 lb. brisket wholepacker on this morning and maintained IT between 225 and 250.  I put a pan with apple juice on the platesetter and sprayed the brisket liberally every hour with apple juice to help keep it moist.  I pulled it off at IT of 185 and wrapped tightly in foil for a half hour.  I cut into it and it's tough and chewy.  My question is, did I undercook it or overcook it since the meat is tough?  Any input would GREATLY be appreciated!

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited October 2013
    Hmmm 185° seems too low. Did the brisket feel like butta when you checked the final temp with your thermometer?

Some may also say FTC (which it also seems like you only did the Foil of Foil Towel Cooler) for only 30 minutes is too short of time.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Temp likely too low for it to have fully rendered and tenderized... Most, not all, are in the 195 to 200 range for the "like butter" feel... I also wouldn't spray it as often or at all, YMMV...
  • Did you pull it off prior to 11-12 hours. I cook mine about 2 hrs per lb. and during last 3 hrs I put it in a pan with beef broth about 1/2 way up the brisket covered in foil
    Charlotte, nc
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130

I would be concerned with opening the lid every hour to spray it

XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited October 2013

My vote-undercooked.  Brisket is one of those "by feel" finish-lines.  Most start checking for doneness around 190*F in the thickest part of the flat.  When you can probe both directions and it feels like "butta" then you are there.  What follows are some good reads for when you have time:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

BTW-welcome aboard.  It is a game-changer.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2013
    Slow and low. Temp and feel are key. The muscle takes time to breakdown the connecting tissues. Sounds either undercooked or cooked too rapidly to allow for the tissue to breakdown to become tender. I inject so I don't do the spray method + when I did do the spray method I wasn't pleased with my final product> meat wasn't as tender and the bark wasn't as thick or pronounced as I like it. These are discretionary. But,low and slow cook are key to get a great brisket in my experience. I rarely open the egg once the brisket is on. Pretty much set a timer and fine tune temp to 225F-275F and 45min to 1hr per# although I have went as long as 2hrs per# Briskets can be difficult until you do a few.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    This was a 15# packer. I prefer the flat because I don't have an army to feed and I tend to "go big or go home" (way too much food) :-D.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Undercooked is my vote

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jhill
    jhill Posts: 2
    Thank you all for the responses!  I've made lots of notes from your tips.  A shout out to lousubcap for the website links....awesome!   I'll definitely check them out.  I've cooked chicken, beef, pork, and even baked on my egg but I just can't get a brisket to turn out right yet.  I greatly appreciate all the tips and help.  Thanks again y'all!