Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Reverse Sear... Really? Yes, really.. (Lotsa pics yo!)

Greetings friends, Strips are $8 off a pound at the butcher. I grabbed a 1 1/2 pounder that measured two inches. Set myself up with some garlicky lemongrass grape seed Brussels and bacon Gouda shrimp Mac and cheese. We're talking the ultimate Batchelor meal. A pint of home brewed Porter, and a dream...
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Set everything up.

Started a slow warm up on the BGE with the bottom tier of the swing grate. 350* until meat hit 100*.

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Sautéed off the garlic Brussels while the cast iron of Mac flamed over the upper tier, which was supported by lumps of mesquite right on the coals. When it went nuclear, I threw the steak back on. It was honestly pretty dramatic.

Brought it to 130*. A quick rest and served 'er up.

imageimage
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    Forgot to mention the garlic butter there on top. Wow.

Next time I'll pull it off at 110*. Could've been a bit more in the mid rare side for me. Temp was directly on.

Have to give a shout out to the Ceramic Grill Works people. The swing grate is something I use in almost every cook. Searing to low n slow. Couldn't be happier.

Oh. Leftovers? Nada. That was like four pounds of awesome.

Thanks for reading!
    8-Damien
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Awesome cook! Pictures were great too. How do you post your pics? Every time I post pics they end up too small.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Looks great. What do you think of the reverse sear ? Never tried it myself.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    Nice post. Food looked great. Pictures were awesome. Good job.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Very nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Awesome work there, reverse sear FTW!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • MaskedMarvel
    Thanks everyone.
    Awesome cook! Pictures were great too. How do you post your pics? Every time I post pics they end up too small.
    Those just import straight from the iPhone.
    EggNorth said:
    Looks great. What do you think of the reverse sear ? Never tried it myself.

Thanks. Reverse sear left the meat REALLY moist. Really amazing. A bit extra work, but easier than a straight trex I think. I might search out an interesting cast iron grate and use my spider next time. There had been concern with some people with warping of the cgw grate. Franco assured me I Wouldn't have any problems. It performed perfectly, I just can't not buy more trinkets and tools for the bge lol.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE