Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Anyone every made salami?

500500 Posts: 1,644
I found a recipe. http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/salami-recipe.html
 Looks easy.  Thoughts on how it might turn out?  How would you Eggify it?  (I don't see Eggify in the Eggicionary.  Do I get a credit for a new word?)
Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
"Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,231
    That's a faux salami. 

Traditionally salami is not cooked.  It's fermented and cured, sometimes as long as years, and can be further treated with a mold (like penicillin) on the casing.

·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,644
    So it likely will not taste like hard salami I get at the deli?  Would this be considered Summer Sausage then?  Or is that simply a different recipe? 
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,231
    Summer sausage is kind of a generic term for sausage that doesn't need refrigeration - it too is usually cured or fermented. 

I have no idea how that sausage would taste, it's probably really good, most home made sausages are.  But when I think of salami, I think of cured, uncooked sausage.

·