Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Anyone every made salami?

500500 Posts: 1,322
I found a recipe. http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/salami-recipe.html
 Looks easy.  Thoughts on how it might turn out?  How would you Eggify it?  (I don't see Eggify in the Eggicionary.  Do I get a credit for a new word?)
Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
"Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,251
    That's a faux salami. 

Traditionally salami is not cooked.  It's fermented and cured, sometimes as long as years, and can be further treated with a mold (like penicillin) on the casing.

• 500500 Posts: 1,322
    So it likely will not taste like hard salami I get at the deli?  Would this be considered Summer Sausage then?  Or is that simply a different recipe? 
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,251
    Summer sausage is kind of a generic term for sausage that doesn't need refrigeration - it too is usually cured or fermented. 

I have no idea how that sausage would taste, it's probably really good, most home made sausages are.  But when I think of salami, I think of cured, uncooked sausage.