Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Legs from Freezer Directly to the Egg

@Mickey had a thread on this the other day.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157641/frozen-wings-just-fine#latest

Today I was busy watching football and was otherwise distracted until Wilma asks "What's for supper?"  I needed to get something going quick and I thought about Mickey's thread.  Will it work for chicken legs?  There's only one way to find out!!

(I broke two of my rules with this cook.  I wash my chicken before cooking.  I also never cook it while it's frozen.  Let's hope I'm not sorry for breaking the rules today.  If I am, I'm blaming Mickey).

Here they are fresh from the freezer. 

Peeled off the packaging and onto the raised grid it goes!  The legs were still frozen and stuck to the "diaper" material. 

A few minutes later, the "diaper" material peeled off.  

Beverage Break!  I can't wait for the Tiger game tonight!! 

The seasoning was simple.  I found my package from my rub & sauce exchange elf @paqman that has been missing!  Somehow the box got put into the seldom used file cabinet (sorry Chris!).  Given that this is Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend and my elf hails from the Great White North, it's a no-brainer to use what he sent me.  The rub is Schwartz's Deli in Montreal and is delicious!  Thank you again Chris!  

Don't hate me for the spray olive oil.  Here's the legs after flipping with the rub applied.  Normally I use a finer grind rub for chicken legs, but I wanted a Canadian element to this cook.  

Here they are ready to pull off.  I'm sorry, there's no plated pix because the natives were restless.  The Thermapen didn't lie.  They were completely cooked and they were delicious. 

Old habits die hard so I'm not sure I'll use this method unless I have no time to thaw (or purchase) and wash the chicken.  It is nice to have another cooking option in your repertoire in case it's needed.  Thank you for the idea Mickey!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    If this keeps up I'm going to try a spatchcock next.
    How much longer don you estimate the frozen legs took vs fresh?
    I buy fresh chickens from work and spatchcock and freeze in FS bags.
  • I didn't look at the time, but I would estimate 20 minutes more.  I was taking pictures and watching my youngest ride her bike.  She dumped it and got a couple of raspberries on her knees.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Great idea!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    I am happy that you enjoyed the Schwartz poultry seasoning. The "one rub" is also very good on poultry, you should try it soon. It is growing on us, we now use it on potatoes, wings and even as rimmer for bloody ceasars!

How crisp was the skin? I'm assuming that putting them on frozen that it was not as crisp as it would be with "proper" drying.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Good cook. I have no problem with cooking wings, breasts, and now legs frozen. Like you if time all worked out fine, but if not a good cook can be had.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I'll ask the same question I asked on the @Mickey thread and did not see an answer for...

How crisp was the skin? I'm assuming that putting them on frozen that it was not as crisp as it would be with "proper" drying.
    I would say the skin was like pulling them out of the package, washing them and then cooking. Not rubbery, but not very crispy either.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Correct. Not as crisp, but eatable to me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Spending money on the imported beer eh Freddie?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I was wondering about the skin. Thanks for clearing that up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Spending money on the imported beer eh Freddie?

It was the old English D that got me to bite! Anyway, I love Canuck beer. Y'all do that right! That and Maple Leaf lump.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Spending money on the imported beer eh Freddie?
    It was the old English D that got me to bite! Anyway, I love Canuck beer. Y'all do that right! That and Maple Leaf lump.
    I was really disappointed with that batch. Small pieces and a lot of dust. Got some new stuff now and it's way better.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited October 2013
    What I liked about the Maple Leaf lump you gave me is the short amount of time until the VOCs are burned off. It produces good smoke quickly and its ready to go! Great lump!
    Flint, Michigan