Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stacking Ribs

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was at Barbeques Galore and spoke to the Salesman. He said something about Stacking Ribs.

What are the benefits of stacking the ribs other than space ? Does anyone here do this ? How do ribs come out ?

Thanks.

Gary

Comments

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have not tried stacking in the past. When I have a large amount (like today's St. Louis spare ribs), I just use a rib rack that enables me to smoke them while they are on their sides. Has always been good for me.

:P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    My first time with the BGE I did them like this:
    DSC03467.jpg
    Today I'm doing them like this:
    DSC03540.jpg

I think either way could be called stacking... B)
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    From watching Food TV, far too much, stacking is supposed to make the ribs more moist and have a beefier flavor due to the fat dripping onto the rack below. With this method you will need to rotate the stack half way through the cook to make sure your ribs arre consistent.

Like Jaydub I use a roasting rack upside down to hold multiple racks vertically and they have always been great.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    15 slabs with 3 slabs on 5 levels came out great!

IMG_3289.jpg

The other night I did 9 slabs on a rib rack.

IMG_6595.jpg

Vertical versus horizontal stacking, both yield good results in the egg. :)
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Oh, Lord, eenie, those two pics got me drooling so much I almost shorted out my keyboard....beautiful! Yeah, the second one shows the Weber rib rack that I use.
    :P
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    20 ribs on a Lrg:

20racksonlbge.jpg
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    You got to love it. B)
    Earlier there was a posting about doing a split pig on the Egg. From this pic one has to wonder "Why bother if you can do ten pig's worth of ribs on a large?"
    Off to the store to buy them out of ribs. :)
  • rwbbobo
    rwbbobo Posts: 13
    Options

eenie meenie where do you get the cooking racks either type to cook more ribs? are they BGE accessories?

thanks,

bob

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2013
    Options
    rwbbobo said:

eenie meenie where do you get the cooking racks either type to cook more ribs? are they BGE accessories?

thanks,

bob

I don't believe eenie meenie posts on this forum.  This is an older post before the forum split.  You might as at greeneggers.com

The first pic with the racks stacked looks like they are weber grates that were just stacked up.  They have handles like that.  

The second pic just looks like a big rib rack.  I don't either are BGE accessories. I think both those pics are on an XL. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• rwbbobo
    rwbbobo Posts: 13
    Options

looking at BGE website I didn't see anything available as accessories.

well i'll be searching the local grill store

ok thanks

smokeypitt. 

• SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    15 slabs with 3 slabs on 5 levels came out great!

IMG_3289.jpg

The other night I did 9 slabs on a rib rack.

IMG_6595.jpg

Vertical versus horizontal stacking, both yield good results in the egg. :)
    I can't see how you stacked those racks. That is a crazy amount of ribs!
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    I can't believe the dome actually closed. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looks like he took several cooking grates sold by weber and just placed the ribs on them and stacked them. He could then just remove them with his welding gloves or whatever.