Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Legs from Freezer Directly to the Egg

@Mickey had a thread on this the other day.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1157641/frozen-wings-just-fine#latest

Today I was busy watching football and was otherwise distracted until Wilma asks "What's for supper?"  I needed to get something going quick and I thought about Mickey's thread.  Will it work for chicken legs?  There's only one way to find out!!

(I broke two of my rules with this cook.  I wash my chicken before cooking.  I also never cook it while it's frozen.  Let's hope I'm not sorry for breaking the rules today.  If I am, I'm blaming Mickey).

Here they are fresh from the freezer. 

Peeled off the packaging and onto the raised grid it goes!  The legs were still frozen and stuck to the "diaper" material. 

A few minutes later, the "diaper" material peeled off.  

Beverage Break!  I can't wait for the Tiger game tonight!! 

The seasoning was simple.  I found my package from my rub & sauce exchange elf @paqman that has been missing!  Somehow the box got put into the seldom used file cabinet (sorry Chris!).  Given that this is Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend and my elf hails from the Great White North, it's a no-brainer to use what he sent me.  The rub is Schwartz's Deli in Montreal and is delicious!  Thank you again Chris!  

Don't hate me for the spray olive oil.  Here's the legs after flipping with the rub applied.  Normally I use a finer grind rub for chicken legs, but I wanted a Canadian element to this cook.  

Here they are ready to pull off.  I'm sorry, there's no plated pix because the natives were restless.  The Thermapen didn't lie.  They were completely cooked and they were delicious. 

Old habits die hard so I'm not sure I'll use this method unless I have no time to thaw (or purchase) and wash the chicken.  It is nice to have another cooking option in your repertoire in case it's needed.  Thank you for the idea Mickey!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

Comments