Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast, will this work? (In progress possible culinary disaster)

Options
I got the impulse to try and smoke a chuck roast. I threw it on like it was a pork shoulder (and it's next to a pork shoulder, cooking both at the same time).
Rubbed with mustard and rub, cooked roughly 11 hours - no foil - (6lbs if I remember right) and the IT was between 190 and 210 when I pulled it.
Let it set about 30 minutes and it was tough. 

My wife will hate it.

So I chopped it in chunks, wrapped it in foil with 1 1/2 cups of apple cider and slathered in bbq sauce. Threw it back on.
I figure I will let it cook a half hour or so.

Was this a bad idea?

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    "My wife will hate it." kinda says it all.  You gotta do something with it because it's a failure right now.  Trust yourself.  Maybe it will be the best concoction you ever made or it may suck.  Either way you learn something.  Let us know what happens. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    Debating pulling it off at 30 minutes or an hour... no idea how to check without opening the pouch and accepting what's in it. At least there is a pork shoulder still on the egg that will be tasty - she is burnt out on pork though.
  • Sm62577
    Sm62577 Posts: 30
    Options
    I did one awhile back also,, turned out like crap.. Total disaster..
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    wife ate it . it was okish like three bites were perfect. still have a shoulder on so that should work.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    wife ate it . it was okish like three bites were perfect. still have a shoulder on so that should work.
    Well there you go!  You went from "My wife will hate it" to "wife ate it".  It wasn't great, but it was edible and you learned something.  Good save!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Most of the time if you are cooking a beef roast of that size you need to put it in a cast iron pot with some liquid to basically braise it while you are smoking it. There is a bunch of recipes on the forum that can give you ideas. Glad it wasn't a total failure
    :)>-
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.