Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Pull Pork?

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a "picnic" going, about 5 lbs. [p]I"ve been following your instructions posted here in the past. Awesome results so far. Everything going well. Couldn't have done it without your help. THANKS!!![p]Picnic been on for 5 1/2 hours. Dome temp is holding at 210. Internal temp is up to 165. Maybe 3-4 more hours to go. Plan to jack dome temp up to 250 when internal reaches 180. Then plan is to take internal temp up to 195 to 200. Any suggested modifications at this point.[p]Then when I take it off. I plan to pull it immediately since we will be hungry. Is that okay or is it better to wrap in foil and wait about 15-30 minutes befor pulling? [p]Main question - how is the pulling done? Can anyone describe that process me in simple language. [p]Thanks for your help on this small point too. I don't want to screw anything up.[p]Anthony

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    PP_040900_120001.jpg
    <p />Anthony Up North, I use 2 forks for Pulled Pork or Pulled Beef. Sometimes a picture is worth MANY words... at internal 200, it will just pull apart. Good luck.

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Anthony Up North,[p]Remove at 195F as you will have a nice ride through the plateau. Allow a 15-30 minute rest and tear that thing apart (no foil).[p]Pulling is simply tearing (it is tender and will pull instead) apart. It will pull in long strings of meat. These can be used for dipping or cut down for making sandwiches.[p]Spin

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Anthony Up North,
    Kick up that dome temp to 250* now if you want to eat at a decent hour today.

• Gfw,[p]Yep, you are right - a picture often tells it. I see two forks along
    side the meat, setting on a cookie sheet. I can imagine the tearing
    process. [p]Thanks a lot.[p]Anthony[p]

• JJ,[p]Will do.[p]Thanks

• Spin,[p]Will do that too. [p]Boy you guys are really like coaches on the sidelines. It is always good to get the advice of experience.[p]Thanks Spin.[p]Anthony

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Anthony Up North, and trust me, you will have fun and you will have a great meal!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Anthony Up North, not reading any other posts (sorry guys if I tread on ya) it sounds like your doing great..When ya get if off and your ready to eat, either use two forks and just rip it apart like your raking your lawn, or use plastic gloves and finger rip it apart..its hot so you will have to use a bit of caution...Go for it...you will love it.
    C~W
    (on some its a John Deere Tractor and a log chain...I'm kidding Cat)

• Gfw,[p]I always trust good, experienced people. Just checked it a few minutes ago. Dome temp now up to 260. I am in the process of stabalizing.[p]Thanks again.[p]Anthony[p]
  • Char-Woody,[p]Always happy to have you chime in with your support and wisdom. [p]Temp is now up to 192 and I'm beginning to lick my chops. We (my better half and me) can't wait to taste our first pulled pork.[p]Thanks for your help.[p]Anthony[p]

• Char-Woody,[p]Always happy to have you chime in with your support and wisdom. [p]Temp is now up to 192 and I'm beginning to lick my chops. We (my better half and me) can't wait to taste our first pulled pork.[p]Thanks for your help.[p]Anthony[p]

• Char-Woody
    Anthony Up North, your welcome and your welcome :-) That should cover both posts...!! Wisdom?? I like that!!
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Anthony Up North, If your at 192, your ready to concentrate on licking chops...for sure...Porkie tenderloins here on the small and the Large is basking at 250 with a Buckaroo Brisket.
    That comes off around 10 tonight!!
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,[p]You are right! Some of the pulled pork is "down the hatch." Ohhhhhhhh so very good. Your tenderloin sounds great too... but at this time I'm too stuffed to want some. But you have a great time at your dinner. I'm sure you're mighty hungry sitten thar watching all that cookin goin on" [p]Thanks for your support old buddy.[p]Anthony[p]
  • Char-Woody
    Anthony UP North, Smoke em up Anthony..good show.. BTW..thas a brisket..nary a tenderloin..but the tenderloin is another idea to hatch in the "egg".
    Cheers..C~W[p]