Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sorta OT: Costco

Options
Thinking of joining and I have 2 questions: quality of meat and cost savings.

I went in and looked around yesterday. I was happy to see that they had plenty of choice packer briskets, nice looking racks of ribs, and pork butts. Those that have tried these cuts, how would you rate quality?

I am wondering if I will get enough savings to pay for the membership fee, however, because I don't see myself buying any other cuts from Costco (I eat grass-fed beef for health reasons, except for brisket) so I'll be relying just on BBQ purchases, spices, and maybe some household items like TP and such. Think it's worth it?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's worth it for me.  It wouldn't be if all I bought there was BBQ supplies and meat.
    Options

Well worth it.  We do a lot of shopping there for the above-mentioned and coffee,  condiments, etc.

To say nothing of great gas prices if your local has a station.

We'll never be without our Costco membership.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

It's worth it for me because it may have started out as "BBQ purchases, spices, and maybe some household items like TP and such." but now it also wine (hit or miss, but occasionally some excellent wine at excellent prices), cashews, powdered Gatorade, books (my son like to browse their books every time we go), clothing, a portable grilling prep table, shampoo, body wash, dental floss, mouthwash, etc...

It doesn't sound like you will do this, but my membership pretty much pays for itself every time I buy a beef tenderloin - which is several times a year.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I think it's well worth it too.  As far as the membership fee, I have the Executive Membership, and I just got a check for a little more than the membership fee (rebate).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think it's well worth it too.  As far as the membership fee, I have the Executive Membership, and I just got a check for a little more than the membership fee (rebate).
    We have that too, seems like a no-brainer compared to the $55 membership.
    Options
    Right, VI, I forgot we also have the Exec Membership.  We usually do cover the fee, plus the better opening hours is cool.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    If I only purchased meat and wine, the membership would be worth it.
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    We have that too, seems like a no-brainer compared to the $55 membership.
    Us too. We also buy frozen seafood at Costco... salmon, talapia, sole, mahi-mahi.

I will point out that some of their meat is blade tenderized (it will be stamped on the label if it is). I generally don't like to buy blade tenderized meat for food safety reasons because... you never know.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    +1 on Executive Membership. It absolutely pays for itself. And then there's the discounted gas and liquor. Huge selection of wine. We also make smoothies every day, so the frozen strawberries are consistently amazing.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Spent almost $500 there yesterday, had decided to purge as much out of our freezer before restocking. Quality is very good. They also have some USDA Prime steaks that are very reasonable compared to other local butchers.

I've smoked their pork butts several times, only thing I don't like about them is they're deboned. I much prefer the shoulders with the bone left in them.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

We have one and while I do think it's worth it, I don't buy a whole lot of meat there just because it's not real convenient for me if I decide I want to smoke something on a Saturday morning, which is usually what happens.  I've got other good choices a lot closer to me that are high quality with pretty much the same or slightly higher meat prices. 

That said, the wife does buy lots of things there.....coffee (MUCH cheaper than grocery store), wine, sometimes beer (only place I've seen that sells Shiner products by the case), toiletries, etc.  And we actually just bought a memory foam mattress from Costco for literally 25% of the price of others we had looked at in mattress showrooms.  While we had to order it without getting to try it, their return policy made it a no-brainer.  Turns out we like it as much as the ones we liked in stores we had tried. 

Lastly, Costco is one of the few retailers today where the employees are not only helpful, but uncommonly friendly.  It is a theme there.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Up here in the GWN (at least in Ontario that I know of) the provincial government controls liquor sales pretty tightly. We cannot buy beer at Costco. I think I've seen wine in a box there but I've never looked close enough to know if it's alcohol free or not.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

If you're rebate doesn't make up the extra amount for the Exec membership, they'll give you the difference back......you just have to ask for it.  My rebate is always in the hundreds, so it pays for the whole membership plus some.

If you're ever dissatisfied, you can always quit and get your full membership fee back.  Same goes for the meat--if you don't like it, put it in a zip lock and take it back.  I've done that with bad fruit or merchandise that has broken years later.  They'll always take it back--no questions asked.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If I had to decide on only one store to shop at, it would be Costco. I worked there for 5 years and the pay and benefits package is why they get some of the best people to serve the members. Everything above explains the rest.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Perhaps the best thing about Costco is their return policy.  Generally, no questions asked.  My wife bought a blow up double bed mattress for out of town overnight guests.  After two sessions, it sprung a leak where it had to be blown up twice a night.  We took it back to Costco (4 years after purchase).  Full refund, no questions asked.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Almost all of my shopping is done at either Costco or Amazon. I usually buy seafood there - lobster tails, shrimp, ahi tuna, salmon and prime beef. We also have the exec membership and the rebate this year was nearly double the fee. I wish we had a business Costco around here though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Perhaps the best thing about Costco is their return policy.  Generally, no questions asked.  My wife bought a blow up double bed mattress for out of town overnight guests.  After two sessions, it sprung a leak where it had to be blown up twice a night.  We took it back to Costco (4 years after purchase).  Full refund, no questions asked.
    My buddy brought a queen mattress back. Any store that'll do it wins my appreciation. We returned a blender and kitchen aid mixer to get a vitamix. They basically don't have a return policy. They just take stuff back no questions asked. The only thing I want to know is what happens with all that stuff they return. I'd kill to go to a "Costco outlet"
    Dunedin, FL
  • HorseMover
    Options
    I just wish I had one period:(
    Albion, PA