Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast (pic)

Been enjoying the 'Serious Barbecue' book (found out about it on this site).  Even though I cannot find the many spices,  the recipes seem to turn out great.

Honey-Glazed Whole Turkey Breast - page 298.   Cooked indirect at 250 F - Very moist and will definitely do again next year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks
Dave
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• Looks great!

What spices are you having trouble finding?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That looks really good. May have to pick up a copy of that book.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    edited October 2013
    Looks great!

Seems every recipe there is one or two:  Marjoram leaves, Fleur de sel (I used salt), Old Bay Seasoning (I used Herbes De Provence - my favorite spice mix!).
    Dave
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Tackman said:
    That looks really good. May have to pick up a copy of that book.
    Thanks,  The book is recommended.  The techniques on using brine, injection and spices are very informative and helpful.   I tried the grilling techniques on a few recipes and did not get the results I like, so I just went back to  grilling for the grill marks, then finishing the meat indirect and let the egg do what it does best for me.

Could also use more pictures, I would like to see a code for each recipe in the book and then be able to see the picture on-line.   This would also allow browsing on-line for a meal and then back to the book for the recipe.  Just a wish list that applies to all recipe books.
    Dave
  • EggNorth said:
    Looks great!

Seems every recipe there is one or two:  Marjoram leaves, Fleur de sel (I used salt), Old Bay Seasoning (I used Herbes De Provence - my favorite spice mix!).
    You should be able to get the Old Bay and Marjoram at most grocery stores (I know Longos carries both). I've never looked for Fleur de sel but I'd probably just use sea salt instead.

As a general rule, I've always been able to find most of the spices that I've needed. You might try finding an ethnic market near where you live or work for some of the more "exotic" stuff.

The only thing that I ever really have trouble finding is some of the specific southwestern chilis; but you can always find adequate substitutes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.