Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old Faithful, Spatchcock Chicken w/PICs

Options
I decided to keep it simple last night and cook up a delicious spatchcock chicken with some vegetables. I amazes me how easy this meal is and how great it turns out every time. I found a fat 7.13 lb Purdue Chicken, rubbed it down with some EVOO, dusted it with my new favorite "Bad Byron's" and some additional pepper.

Tossed it on the LBGE raised direct at around 400 degrees with a few hickory chunks and cracked my new stainless steel growler filled with Lagunitas "A Little Sumpin' Wild" 8.8% ABV - Its great - Highly recommended.

Quick picture of the new growler.

Bird is cooking, Egg is smoking (just like my wife) and the beer is flowing, life is good.

Holding temperature nicely

Started prepping my vegetables

Drizzled with EVOO and seasoned with just salt and pepper.

Pulled the succulent bird off at 165 and tented

Tossed the veggies on!

Sorry to say, but just like most of my posts, the Chef was too marinated and hungry to remember to get the final money shot. But it was fantastic. Gonna try to do some kind of a roast today and hopefully watch the Crimson Tide kick the S&^@ out of Kentucky tonight. If anyone has a good roast recipe, please post it, I have never done one on the egg before.

Cheers

LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks great... Love the veggies and skewers.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Thanks Henapple, the meal was simple but tasted great! Cheers
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Looks awesome! I still need to try Bad Byron's on chicken. I'm sure it's incredible.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Aquacop
    Options
    Looks awesome! I still need to try Bad Byron's on chicken. I'm sure it's incredible.
    Its my first bottle and I put it on almost everything now, definitely give it a try!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That looks great.

I notice that you're doing your vegetables right at the top of the fire ring. Do they get done (i.e., tender) enough at that level before they are too cooked on the outside? I usually do mine with the grid raised to the gasket level.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Bad Byron's is my goto wing rub. Good stuff. Nice cook man.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice looking bird! Where did you get those skewers?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aquacop
    Options
    That looks great.

I notice that you're doing your vegetables right at the top of the fire ring. Do they get done (i.e., tender) enough at that level before they are too cooked on the outside? I usually do mine with the grid raised to the gasket level.
    I like them still firm so I stay on the fire ring, I'll try them raised and see what happens.
  • Aquacop
    Options
    caliking said:
    Nice looking bird! Where did you get those skewers?
    I got them at my egg dealer, Its called Kitchenware Outfitters in Savannah Ga
  • lc_gator
    lc_gator Posts: 8
    Options
    +1 on your beer selection.  Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin and Lil Sumpin Wild are both excellent choices.  Probably my 2nd favorite beer to a local brewery called Swamp Head.