Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How hot is too hot?

Is the standard gasket just not up to snuff? Or is 600F-800F too hot? Egg gasket is beginning to deteriorate due heat. Thinking of going to flat braided glass blend with hitemp sealant/adhesive :-D Any suggestions or thoughts?
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited October 2013
    Guess I might be opinionated about that flat braided gasket that withstands 2,200 degrees, but to date I have now helped 925 eggs be outfitted with it as a not for profit service I provide.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm a repair tech for commercial restaurants (HVAC/R and all hot side also). To me the flat braid should be standard. IMHO this is the bees knees. :bz
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Haven't had a gasket for two years.  No need.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• NPHuskerFL
    RRP. Did you use the braided or different product?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @RRP has helped a lot of folks install a Rutland, wood stove gasket. If you want a "just about forever" solution, may be just what you need. There are some, like me, concerned about use of the Rutland near food. 
    A Nomex gasket is also available, with self adhesive, foolproof (IMHO) installation. It is food safe. There is also Cotronics, food safe and lasts a long time, it also needs an additional adhesive. I think @stlcharcoal can help you with one of these. 
    Like Doc says, some just forget about the gasket altogether. 
    As you can see, other than everyone agrees the BGE OME sucks, there is no real concensus.  
    Also check out the Naked Whiz site, he has a great summary of kamado gaskets. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have a Rutland that I installed with permatex ultra copper on my egg. No signs of any wear and my egg gets used 4-5 days/week. I didn't get mine from RRP, but it's pretty cool that he helps folks out for the cost of materials. FWIW, you can save yourself some money in shipping by going to a wood stove dealer and buying the gasket there. I bought 9' for my XL. It cost me about $9.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    @RRP has helped a lot of folks install a Rutland, wood stove gasket. If you want a "just about forever" solution, may be just what you need. There are some, like me, concerned about use of the Rutland near food. 
    A Nomex gasket is also available, with self adhesive, foolproof (IMHO) installation. It is food safe. There is also Cotronics, food safe and lasts a long time, it also needs an additional adhesive. I think @stlcharcoal can help you with one of these. 
    Like Doc says, some just forget about the gasket altogether. 
    As you can see, other than everyone agrees the BGE OME sucks, there is no real concensus.  
    Also check out the Naked Whiz site, he has a great summary of kamado gaskets. 
    Excellent summary.  I can control my gasket-less Eggs to low and slow or raging hot with no problem.  The only issue is they do lose smoke so my domes are dirty and dark because I cook on them almost every night.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

The Cotronics 397 is rated to 1500F.  It's woven ceramic, so just like the Egg, it doesn't burn, melt, char, etc.

With any of these fire proof gaskets, the glue is ultimately the weak point.

Nomex is fire resistant, but not fire proof.  It doesn't melt, but it does char and break down with a flame & extreme heat.....especially if it soaks up grease, fuel, or something else that DOES burn. 

• I went gasket less for a few months. I burned through a lot of lump without them.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    Thanks for all the opinions and first hand knowledge.
    Sometimes trial and error is the best lesson learned. But, personally I like to get info from those that have similar problems and have found good ways to resolve. And yes the general consensus seems to be an overwhelming OEM gasket sucks. Thanks everyone. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I have a Rutland from @RRP on my large.

Factory gasket on my mini is getting pretty beat; when it goes, I'll get a new Rutland from Ron for it.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Nothing but the Rutland from RP. I am never using anything else! Thanks Ron !
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    edited October 2013
    I used the Permatex Ultra Copper itself as a gasket.  Just apply a heavy double bead (I used one and a half tubes' worth) on the bottom  bowl, cover with Saran Wrap, then carefully lower the lid.  The weight of the lid squishes the material, making a form-fit seal with both bottom and top, and the Saran Wrap prevents glueing the top to the bottom.  Let cure a couple days, remove the Wrap, and you're set.  It is a bit uglier than the pre-made gaskets, if you care about that.  
    I did a thread with pics when I did it but can't remember what I called it... 
    :\">

I'm afraid to go completely gasket-less, as I'm clumsy and afraid I'll drop the lid or have a B. Flay moment; like to have the extra cushion there.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    edited October 2013
    Botch said:
    I used the Permatex Ultra Copper itself as a gasket.  Just apply a heavy double bead (I used one and a half tubes' worth) on the bottom  bowl, cover with Saran Wrap, then carefully lower the lid.  The weight of the lid squishes the material, making a form-fit seal with both bottom and top, and the Saran Wrap prevents glueing the top to the bottom.  Let cure a couple days, remove the Wrap, and you're set.  It is a bit uglier than the pre-made gaskets, if you care about that.  
    I did a thread with pics when I did it but can't remember what I called it... 
    :\">

I'm afraid to go completely gasket-less, as I'm clumsy and afraid I'll drop the lid or have a B. Flay moment; like to have the extra cushion there.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144387/permatex-copper-gasket-install-w-pics#latest

After my Nomex dies, this is along the lines of what I'll do...

Botch I gotta hand it to you - when finding your gasket post, I realized I'd read almost all of your threads with interest.  Great contributions.  Thanks.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Wow, thanks Masked Marvel, both for finding the thread and the compliment!   :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you read the technical specs on Nomex, it's Achilles heel is moisture.  Because there's all kinds of condensate and steam rolling out of the egg, it doesn't perform as well as the temperature specs say it should.