Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long can I safely keep a butt in the cooler???

So, We are having a dinner party tonight and I messed up the timing... The butt is coming off the egg now (9am) and they will not be here until 6pm. I have the butt wrapped in foil in the cooler for now... how long is that safe?
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That will be too long. I think most people say 4 hours max, although a few will go longer. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• It's safe as long as it doesn't get to 140 or lower. 39-140 is considered the danger zone where bacteria can grow and 70-120 is the Extreme danger zone.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    So, should I go ahead and pull it apart after an hour in the cooler? Or put it in the fridge and warm it whole later?

• I agree...too long.  It will be just as good reheated don't sweat it.
  • I would base it off temp, not time... I usually let mine sit and then pull it and cool it. Basing things off temp, you might be subjecting the meat to the more dangerous temp zone of 70-120. Just a thought.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • Pull it and cool it.  That will get your temp down faster.  Reheat it when you are ready.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You do not need/have to wait. The butt box is for your convenience not the pork. I have pulled right out of the Egg and find no differance from time in the box.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jtippers
    ok, thanks for the info... I'll pull and put in fridge, then reheat later.

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I did 8.5 hours and it went from 195 down to 152 degrees.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I have had butts in a cooler for 8 hours and they were still too hot to handle with bare fingers!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Depends on your cooler. I have a Yeti cooler. Filled with 2 wrapped pork butts, dead space filled with additional towels, I easy hold the butts for 8 hours and they are piping hit like they just came off the grill. Also helps to pre-warm the cooler.

If you have a crappy cooler that starts off cold and you don't fill the dead space then your results won't be so good.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Agree with @jeroldharter

I kept a butt in my yeti for 6 hours and pulled it out at a party and was still tasty as ever.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• probably too late but you were most likely fine. it has to be below 140 for over 4 hours to even be considered in the danger zone. It would take several hours to hit 140 then you have 4 hrs after that to START being in the danger zone.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jtippers
    oh well... thanks for the advice. I'll know next time. I went ahead and pulled and put in the fridge. Its in the oven now warming up.

I would love to buy a Yeti... but SWMBO says $400 for a cooler is crazy. She just doesn't get I guess. :)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I agree with Centex... If I don't, he'll kick my ass.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jtippers said:
    oh well... thanks for the advice. I'll know next time. I went ahead and pulled and put in the fridge. Its in the oven now warming up.

I would love to buy a Yeti... but SWMBO says $400 for a cooler is crazy. She just doesn't get I guess. :)
    I have the 45 quart and I think that goes for about $325. That is a lot of money for a cooler. But they are excellent. They don't rust and they are indestructible. One of the few things that I think will truly last a lifetime. So the younger you are, the better bargain the Yeti is. You can stand on them - casting platform in a boat. You can sit on them. You can throw a bunch of pork butt in them for hours. Coleman and Igloo coolers are relative toys. Yeti has several knockoffs (just like the Egg), but it is hard to beat a Yeti.