Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Meatballs... lots of pic

yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
Going to aunt's house for family dinner and making the meatballs. Hopefully there's some left to bring with me snacking on them.

Dunedin, FL

• Looking good!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • 500500 Posts: 1,846
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • Drewdlc17Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    And now I'm officially hungry!
    Would you mind sharing the recipe?
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    Sure thing. I did something a little different this time due to my wife's wishes to make them "healthier" haha.

1 pound ground beef
    1 pound Italian sausage
    (I would have done a pound of veal if I had it)
    1/2 cup of plain whole milk yogurt
    1/2 cup of milk (I used whole milk)
    3/4 cup oat bran
    1/2 small onion chopped fine
    1/2 cup freshly grated parmesean
    2 tablespoons garlic powder (was out of garlic)
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
    2 tablespoons dried oregano
    1/8 teaspoon ish of freshly grated nutmeg
    1 teaspoon ish of sea salt
    Lots of pepper
    I would have done some crushed red pepper flakes if it were just my family.

I cooked them in a skillet as the picture shows at 450 degrees give or take. They were probably the most tender meatballs I've had (and I've had thousands of meatballs probably), my guess is the oat bran and yogurt which are my new not so secret ingredients.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Those look great! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    LBGE- Atlanta, LBGE and SBGE- Ellijay, GA
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,226
    Man those look good.  I've never seen yogurt in a meatball recipe before,  but i use it when making tandoori chicken and other kababs. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Those look great!

So, is it the oat bran makes them "healthier"? If so, I'll have to remember that! 
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Aurora, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah the oat bran is healthier than bread I think. I'll eat these "healthier" meatballs any day of the week. I'm just glad I have enough left over for some sandwiches for lunch.
    Dunedin, FL
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,518
    Do you mail?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

@mickey, I do but they're all gone

Anyways, with two hungry kids there was no time for toasting and melting cheese but still great.

image :((
    Dunedin, FL
  • flynnbobflynnbob Posts: 621
    Looks great, I will give these a try.  My wife is planning our annual Christmas Party and we are searching for some good make ahead appetizers - Will let you know how my test batch turns out.  Thanks for sharing!
    Milton, GA.
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,800
    Would it hurt to just grill these?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I have grilled mine and they turned out great
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,800
    Thanks fletcher
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • No biggie.Yea is just took a recipe on all recipes that had some really great reviews, threw in some smoke, grilled um. Wife said they were the best she has had.
    Yeah no problem just grilling them. I like the sear they get on the skillet, but I bet if your fire was nice and hot it'd turn out the same.
    Dunedin, FL