Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How long can I safely keep a butt in the cooler???

So, We are having a dinner party tonight and I messed up the timing... The butt is coming off the egg now (9am) and they will not be here until 6pm. I have the butt wrapped in foil in the cooler for now... how long is that safe?
LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
·

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,965
    That will be too long. I think most people say 4 hours max, although a few will go longer. 

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • It's safe as long as it doesn't get to 140 or lower. 39-140 is considered the danger zone where bacteria can grow and 70-120 is the Extreme danger zone.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 510
    So, should I go ahead and pull it apart after an hour in the cooler? Or put it in the fridge and warm it whole later?
    ·
  • I agree...too long.  It will be just as good reheated don't sweat it.
    ·
  • I would base it off temp, not time... I usually let mine sit and then pull it and cool it. Basing things off temp, you might be subjecting the meat to the more dangerous temp zone of 70-120. Just a thought.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
    ·
  • Pull it and cool it.  That will get your temp down faster.  Reheat it when you are ready.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    You do not need/have to wait. The butt box is for your convenience not the pork. I have pulled right out of the Egg and find no differance from time in the box.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • I've reheated pulled pork when it was done wayyy ahead of schedule...and it tasted just fine. I put the pulled meat in a pan with about 1/2 cup broth and into a oven at 300 for half an hour. It was yummy
    ·
    ok, thanks for the info... I'll pull and put in fridge, then reheat later.
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,019
    I did 8.5 hours and it went from 195 down to 152 degrees.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 614
    I have had butts in a cooler for 8 hours and they were still too hot to handle with bare fingers!

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·
  • Depends on your cooler. I have a Yeti cooler. Filled with 2 wrapped pork butts, dead space filled with additional towels, I easy hold the butts for 8 hours and they are piping hit like they just came off the grill. Also helps to pre-warm the cooler.

If you have a crappy cooler that starts off cold and you don't fill the dead space then your results won't be so good.
    ·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Agree with @jeroldharter

I kept a butt in my yeti for 6 hours and pulled it out at a party and was still tasty as ever.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • probably too late but you were most likely fine. it has to be below 140 for over 4 hours to even be considered in the danger zone. It would take several hours to hit 140 then you have 4 hrs after that to START being in the danger zone.

·
    oh well... thanks for the advice. I'll know next time. I went ahead and pulled and put in the fridge. Its in the oven now warming up.

I would love to buy a Yeti... but SWMBO says $400 for a cooler is crazy. She just doesn't get I guess. :)
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    I agree with Centex... If I don't, he'll kick my ass.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • jtippers said:
    oh well... thanks for the advice. I'll know next time. I went ahead and pulled and put in the fridge. Its in the oven now warming up.

I would love to buy a Yeti... but SWMBO says $400 for a cooler is crazy. She just doesn't get I guess. :)
    I have the 45 quart and I think that goes for about $325. That is a lot of money for a cooler. But they are excellent. They don't rust and they are indestructible. One of the few things that I think will truly last a lifetime. So the younger you are, the better bargain the Yeti is. You can stand on them - casting platform in a boat. You can sit on them. You can throw a bunch of pork butt in them for hours. Coleman and Igloo coolers are relative toys. Yeti has several knockoffs (just like the Egg), but it is hard to beat a Yeti.
    ·