Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Sous Vide Equipment is here!!!

So, my new Anova Immersion Circulator that I ordered earlier this week came in today... I have chicken breasts cooking now. What are you guys favorite sous vide recipes?

SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Pork ribs (baby back or spare) are excellent.  144F for 48 hours.  You can throw them in the cryovac package you bought them in.  Frozen, no problem.  Then cool them down.  You can store in the fridge for several weeks and throw them on the grill for 20 minutes raised direct around 350....great way to have ribs for dinner on work days.
    So... first sous vide cook was a half success.

Cooked chicken breasts at 145 degrees for 2 hours... then seared on a hot pan on the stove with EVOO. I literally had to open every door and turn on every fan in the house. Smoke went everywhere! The good news is I persevered and was rewarded with some of the juiciest chicken breasts I have ever had!

So now, SWMBO says the sear has to be done on the grill next time to avoid the smokey house... I know I did something wrong... any ideas?

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    My first, and still favorite, is beef short ribs using Thomas Keller's recommendations. Followed by a few minute direct on a roaring Egg.
  • lower heat, less oil.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • @jtippers that looks like a nice unit. May I ask where you purchased the container? Thanks
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512

• Thanks...are you liking the unit? I'm thinking of ordering one today. The other submersible was like $900...this looks like it works just as good @ a fraction of the cost.
  • Thanks...are you liking the unit? I'm thinking of ordering one today. The other submersible was like $900...this looks like it works just as good @ a fraction of the cost.

There is a polyscience submersible for like $400. I would say that is the Cadillac of the home quality submersibles. Not sure what this one costs but it looks cool too.
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker $199. Wonder if the PS is that much better?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2013
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker $199. Wonder if the PS is that much better?

No idea. Doubt it. I would buy that PS model though if I were going to buy today. The $199 unit looks great and I can't imagine it would not be overkill for most home SV cooks.
  • jtippers
    I have right at $250 in the whole setup... The Anova will manage 6 gallons of water. I figure that is more than I would ever need for home use. Specs are really similar to the PS creative.

Bearing in mind that I only got the unit today, I love it so far. The only downside I can see to this unit compared to the PS is that it makes a slight humming sound. Reviews I have read of the Sansaire circulator say that it is virtually silent. It will also be priced at the $199 mark. Unfortunatly, it will not start shipping until mid-November.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The polyscience makes some noise too. I'm not all that experienced with sous vide but if I can offer a suggestion it would be to cut your seasoning and spices way down. A little goes a long way.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• totally agree with jtipp
    The polyscience makes some noise too. I'm not all that experienced with sous vide but if I can offer a suggestion it would be to cut your seasoning and spices way down. A little goes a long way.

I don't season in the bag at all. I do it all right before I sear
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

totally agree with jtipp

I don't season in the bag at all. I do it all right before I sear
    It depends what I am cooking but I always use salt and pepper. Usually some fresh herbs and butter. Don't do much beef and few steaks. I did lobster tails a while back with lemon zest, salted butter and a single clove of garlic. Best thing I've done to date. I'm sure I can do a better job of duck confit than I did last time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Any update on how you like the Anova?
  • jtippers
    @hdmstng - I love it. Works very well. I cooked a chuck roast last week for 48hours at 133 with some wostershire sauce and salt and paper, then put a hard sear on it with my small egg. It was perfect. Also, took the liquid out of the bag and added a little flour in a sauce pan. Made a killer gravy for the mashed potatoes! I would recommend this setup to anyone.

• I am interested in sous vide cooking, but I don't understand what is the advantage to the extended 48-80 hour cooks I read about. Does leaving the meat in the SV for such a long time add additional flavor or tenderness?
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    @jtippers By cooking a chuck at 133 for 48 hours, did you get medium rare AND fork tender?
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited November 2013
    Thanks...are you liking the unit? I'm thinking of ordering one today. The other submersible was like $900...this looks like it works just as good @ a fraction of the cost.

There is a polyscience submersible for like $400. I would say that is the Cadillac of the home quality submersibles. Not sure what this one costs but it looks cool too.

I'm putting the Annova on my Christmas list.  From what I see the circulation rate is the same as the PS Professional, and the heater is 1000W instead of 1200W for the PS Pro.  I think the temperature deviation/setting isn't as tight but we're talking .1-.2 degrees so I'm not sure I can justify quadruple the for pro.  The PS Culinary has lower specs for circulation, total capacity, and heater wattage.

The Anova Sous Vide Circulator:

SpecificationsTemperature Range: 25°C to 99°C ± 0.01°CPump Speed: 12L/min DirectionalTank capacity: up to 22 liters (5-6 gallons)Timer: 99 hours with auto shut offSafety: water level sensor for auto shut offDimensions: 2.75" x 2.75" x 15.5"Max Clamp Opening: 1.25"Heating Power: 1kWPower Input: 115-120 VAC (220V-240V available Oct. 2013)Limited Warranty: 1 year parts & labor

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Here are the Polyscience specs - I typo'd the PS Pro heater rating - it is 1100W.

PERFORMANCE

• Maximum Bath Volume: 30 liters (8 gallons)
    • Maximum Pump Output: 12 liters (3.2 gallons) per minute
    • Maximum Temperature 212ºF (100ºC)
    • Temperature Stability: ±0.13ºF (±0.07ºC)
    • Heater Wattage (120/240V): 1100 Watts
    • Flow Adjustable: Yes

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• jtippers
    Federalist226  I don't feel I am qualified to answer your question... I have never cooked anything for more than 48 hours.

Hoov  It was medium rare. The consistency was really between a filet and a pot roast that has been cooked in the crock pot all day. It wasn't falling apart, but it was still tender enough to cut with a fork. Probably a terrible comparison, but it is the first thing that comes to mind. I wish I had taken pics of it plated. Here it is on the egg getting seared:

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Just threw a fat Chuckie in the Sous Vide, thanks to all and especially @Cen-Tex-Smoker for turning me on to this new incredible way of cooking. I'll post pics in a couple of days.

Cheers
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    This thread is a few months old now, so I was wondering if anyone else had some good sous vide/BGE combo techniques to share. I recently got the Sansaire SV gadget, and it's great. 

When I have tried searing SV meat on the BGE, I feel like I haven't been able to get a good crust fast enough. I'm using the standard fire grate though... seems like placing the cooking surface lower, like with the spider, would be helpful. Or, using a huge pile of fuel. 
  • I've had the anova for about a month and I have loved the steaks and chicken.

I made burgers a few days ago to see if I could sv ahead of time and make a quick weeknight meal. ..they were good...but I wouldn't say they were better then the normal method...still looking for new projects...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I've had the anova for about a month and I have loved the steaks and chicken. I made burgers a few days ago to see if I could sv ahead of time and make a quick weeknight meal. ..they were good...but I wouldn't say they were better then the normal method...still looking for new projects…
    Have you tried scallops yet-  SV does something amazing to them for some odd reason making them insanely sweet.  Sear on the stove, CI, or salt block to finish-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I want the Sansaire sous vide unit( 199.00). Only problem is they already sold out of their first production run.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    I got the Anova for my birthday...have done steaks, chicken and corned beef.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    This thread is a few months old now, so I was wondering if anyone else had some good sous vide/BGE combo techniques to share. I recently got the Sansaire SV gadget, and it's great. 

When I have tried searing SV meat on the BGE, I feel like I haven't been able to get a good crust fast enough. I'm using the standard fire grate though... seems like placing the cooking surface lower, like with the spider, would be helpful. Or, using a huge pile of fuel. 
    I have both the Sansaire and the PolyScience ones so I can run different temps and both short and long cooks.

I get a good crust with a steel grate and a fire around 600.  Flip frequently and no more that 2 min. total cook time in my experience.  The steel grate has a LOT more surface area for metal to meat contact which seems to work best.  I can't leave it on longer than 30 sec. at a time without encroaching on the burned flavors.

Also, I'll let the meat cool down a bit from the 127 I normally use.  Some people even ice bath it, but I wouldn't do it very long if you're cooking it right then.  Maybe just a couple min. dunk.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas